Many of us may once experience that terrible feelings when we accidentally delete browser history on Google Chrome, which we didn’t meant to. The consequence is that we can’t go directly to the important websites or YouTube videos that we visit often, or we lost the passwords, settings and bookmarks we saved in Google Chrome.
Don't panic! We will share a piece of advice on how to find deleted history on Google Chrome and recover deleted Chrome browsing history on Mac or Windows.
Easiest Way to Recover Deleted Chrome History on Mac and Windows
If you need to restore files with less tech knowledge and get back file as many as possible, you should use a dedicated data recovery program at first.
Cisdem Data Recovery is one of the most professional tools to recover deleted Internet history on Google Chrome. As it name indicates, it’s a standalone data recovery app that performs a remarkable job in retrieving any lost, deleted, formatted, etc. data on Mac, also on Windows. With the aid of Cisdem Data Recovery, you will be able to recover deleted Google Chrome history with ease.
Key attributes of the software:
- Recover from all data loss scenarios- accidental deletion, trash emptied, drive corruption, incorrect operation, etc.
- Restore all types of data- photos, videos, emails, archives, Google Chrome history files, etc.
- Recover from any type of storage device- SD card, hard drive, USB drive, digital camera, smartphones, SSD, etc.
- Repair corrupted videos
- Works both on FAT and NTFS systems
- Use both quick and deep scan to find the most files
- Preview files before final recovery
- Search files with keyword, file size, date created, date modified
- Recover files to local drive or cloud platforms
How to Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome Using Cisdem?
- Download and install Cisdem Data Recovery on your Mac or Windows.
Free Download Free Download
- Specify a location.
The software will show you all the internal hard drives and external removable devices (if you connected them to your Mac or Windows). Now you should choose the system disk/partition to scan your deleted chrome browsing history.
- Search the deleted Chrome history.
Go to Path and enter the keyword like Chrome to quickly find the deleted Chrome history folder. The location of Chrome history or caches on Mac is usually stored on:
~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Application Cache
Thus you should find the History file or the Cache folder. For insurance purposes, I suggest you to recover the whole Default folder, so that you can use it to replace the old one.
- Restore deleted Chrome history on Mac or Windows.
When scanning is completed, select the Chrome folder with history files and click Recover, save the files back to your local drive.
How to Find Deleted Chrome History and Manually Restore?
If you browser websites in Google Chrome by logging into your Google account and have syncing enabled, Google will save all of your browsing history. In this case, you can recover the deleted history by finding the deleted history stored in your Google account, then manually open the browsing history again.
- Visit https://myactivity.google.com.
- Type your user name and password for Google account, and your deleted Chrome history will be displayed.
- “Bundle view” mode and “Item view” mode are offered. You can scroll down to find more deleted Chrome history.
- Only obtain partial deleted history on Google Chrome? Press “Other Google Activity” from the left and click on “Chrome History” to view all.
Note for Windows users: If you are not signed with a Google account, then you can try to restore Google Chrome to a previous version via Windows Shadow Copies feature.
How to Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome Mac for Free?
You may be able to restore deleted Google Chrome files by downloading them from “My Activity”, but it isn’t a practical and convenient way. Here are several free solutions to recover deleted history on Chrome Mac.
#1 Time Machine
Time Machine is a build-in backup program on Mac. When you have a backup of apps, emails, photos, documents, system files, etc., you can recover deleted or lost files from Time Machine.
- Step 1. Click the Time Machine icon and choose Enter Time Machine.
- Step 2. Use the timeline on the screen edge to find the deleted Chrome history files.
- Step 3. Click Restore to recover the deleted Chrome history on your Mac.
#2 Use Google Chrome Cookies
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots and go to Settings.
- Then go to Privacy and Security>Cookies and other site data.
#3 Desktop Search Programs
Desktop search programs are the tools that help users to quickly find files, folders, certain connected applications, or specific contents stored on Mac. Some of them can even recover deleted Chrome browsing history file.
- Firstly, you need pick a piece of suitable desktop search software, like X1 Search.
- Download and install it on your Mac.
- Search the deleted Chrome history with the keywords, publication date, file type, etc.
How to Recover Deleted Chrome History on Windows for Free?
To recover deleted Chrome history on Windows, there are 3 ways. If none of them work for you , you can still find a Windows data recovery program to restore the deleted history on Google Chrome, such as Recuva.
#1 Via DNS Cache
- Hit "Windows + R" keys simultaneously.
- Type "cmd"
- Click "OK" button
- Type "ipconfig/displaydns" in Command Prompt.
- The deleted Internet history you visited recently will be received. But you can’t find the particular pages deleted on Google Chrome while only the domains can be shown.
#2 Restore the Previous Version
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on Appearance and Personalization.
- Choose Folder Options.
- Shift to View tab.
- Click the radio button in front of “Show hidden files, folders and drives, apply it and click OK button.
- Go to directory C:\Users\My account\AppData\Local\Google > Right click the Google folder > select Properties > in the dialog, go to the Previous Versions > restore Google Chrome history.
#3 Use Log Files
The process is a bit similar to the part 1 of last method.
- Open Control Panel.
- Choose Folder Options.
- Select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" , remove the check in "Hide protected operating system files" (Recommended) , apply it and click OK button.
- Search index.dat on My Computer C Drive. Generally, opening DAT files through Notepad will get a bunch of garbled characters, so you'd better download a smart DAT file reader.
Now you get the ultimate solutions of how to recover deleted history from Google Chrome on Mac as well as on Windows. It is a good habit to back up all your files periodically and delete history on Chrome prudently. But if untoward situation occurs, try to install a Cisdem Data Recovery. It is equipped with an open-and-shut interface and totally safe. With its help, you can recover deleted Internet history, lost & formatted files on Mac, Windows or on any supported external device.
Peter has always had great enthusiasm for writing, programming and web development. He likes writing about software and technology, his works are featured on some tech blogs or forums like Tom's Hardware, CNET, etc.