Many of us may once experience that terrible feelings when we accidentally delete browser history on Google Chrome, which we didn’t meant to. The consequence is that we can’t go directly to the important websites or YouTube videos that we visit often, or we lost the passwords, settings and bookmarks we saved in Google Chrome.
Don't panic! We will share a piece of advice on how to find deleted history on Google Chrome and recover deleted Chrome browsing history on Mac or Windows.
How to Find Deleted History on Google Chrome and Manually Restore?
If you browser websites in Google Chrome by logging into your Google account and have syncing enabled, Google will save all of your browsing history. In this case, you can recover the deleted history by finding the deleted history stored in your Google account, then manually open the browsing history again.
- Visit https://myactivity.google.com.
- Type your user name and password for Google account, and your deleted Chrome history will be displayed.
- “Bundle view” mode and “Item view” mode are offered. You can scroll down to find more deleted Chrome history.
- Only obtain partial deleted history on Google Chrome? Press “Other Google Activity” from the left and click on “Chrome History” to view all.
Note for Windows users: If you are not signed with a Google account, then you can try to restore Google Chrome to a previous version via Windows Shadow Copies feature.
How to Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome Mac?
You may be able to restore deleted Google Chrome files by downloading them from “My Activity”, but it isn’t a practical and convenient way. Here are several other solutions to recover deleted history on Chrome Mac, but the best solution I think is to install a data recovery tool.
#1. Cisdem Data Recovery
Cisdem Data Recovery for Mac is one of the most professional tools to recover deleted Internet history on Google Chrome. As it name indicates, it’s a standalone data recovery app that performs a remarkable job in retrieving any lost, deleted, formatted, etc. data on Mac. With the aid of Cisdem Data Recovery, you will be able to recover deleted history on Chrome Mac.
Key attributes of the software:
- Recover from all data loss scenarios- accidental deletion, trash emptied, drive corruption, incorrect operation, etc.
- Restore all types of data- photos, videos, emails, archives, Google Chrome history files, etc.
- Recover from any type of storage device- SD card, hard drive, USB drive, digital camera, smartphones, SSD, etc.
- Works both on FAT and NTFS systems
- Preview scanned files before final recovery
How to Recover Deleted History on Google Chrome Mac Using Cisdem?
- Download and install Cisdem Data Recovery on your Mac.
- Select the scenario.
To recover Chrome browsing history folders or files, you can select Basic Data Recovery, Advanced Data Recovery or Trash Recovery (an attempt) to get started.
Basic Data Recovery: Recover files with all their metadata intact, excluding unnecessary files like configuration files.
Advanced Data Recovery: Take long time to complete, but it’s the most thorough recovery method that works for all data loss scenarios.
Trash Recovery: This mode is quick-finish and provides a path list. There is a chance for you to find deleted Chrome history files and bookmarks in Path > Library > Application Support.
- Specify a location.
The software will show you all the Mac internal hard drives and external removable devices (if you connected them to your Mac). Now you should choose the system disk/partition to scan your deleted chrome browsing history.
- Preview and restore deleted history.
You can preview files in or after scanning. The location of Chrome history or caches on Mac is usually stored on:
~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Application Cache
Thus you should find the History file or the Cache folder. For insurance purposes, I suggest you to recover the whole Default folder, so that you can use it to replace the old one.
When scanning is completed, select the retrieved files and recover deleted history on Google Chrome Mac.
#2 Time Machine
Time Machine is a build-in backup program on Mac. When you have a backup of apps, emails, photos, documents, system files, etc., you can recover deleted or lost files from Time Machine.
- Step 1. Click the Time Machine icon and choose Enter Time Machine.
- Step 2. Use the timeline on the screen edge to find the deleted Chrome history files.
- Step 3. Click Restore to recover the deleted Chrome history on your Mac.
#3 Use Google Chrome Cookies
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 vertical dots and go to Settings.
- Then go to Privacy and Security>Cookies and other site data.
#4 Desktop Search Programs
Desktop search programs are the tools that help users to quickly find files, folders, certain connected applications, or specific contents stored on Mac. Some of them can even recover deleted Chrome browsing history file.
- Firstly, you need pick a piece of suitable desktop search software, like X1 Search.
- Download and install it on your Mac.
- Search the deleted Chrome history with the keywords, publication date, file type, etc.
How to Recover Deleted Chrome History on Windows?
To recover deleted Chrome history on Windows, there are 3 ways. If none of them work for you , you can still find a Windows data recovery program to restore the deleted history on Google Chrome, such as Recuva.
#1 Via DNS Cache
- Hit "Windows + R" keys simultaneously.
- Type "cmd"
- Click "OK" button
- Type "ipconfig/displaydns" in Command Prompt.
- The deleted Internet history you visited recently will be received. But you can’t find the particular pages deleted on Google Chrome while only the domains can be shown.
#2 Restore the Previous Version
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on Appearance and Personalization.
- Choose Folder Options
- Shift to View tab
- Click the radio button in front of “Show hidden files, folders and drives, apply it and click OK button.
- Go to directory C:\Users\My account\AppData\Local\Google > Right click the Google folder > select Properties > in the dialog, go to the Previous Versions > restore Google Chrome history.
#3 Use Log Files
The process is a bit similar to the part 1 of last method.
- Open Control Panel.
- Choose Folder Options.
- Select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" , remove the check in "Hide protected operating system files" (Recommended) , apply it and click OK button.
- Search index.dat on My Computer C Drive. Generally, opening DAT files through Notepad will get a bunch of garbled characters, so you'd better download a smart DAT file reader.
Now you get the ultimate solutions of how to recover deleted history on Google Chrome Mac as well as on Windows. It is a good habit to back up all your files periodically and delete history on Chrome prudently. But if untoward situation occurs, try to install a Cisdem Data Recovery for Mac. It is equipped with an open-and-shut interface and totally safe. With its help, you can recover deleted Internet history, lost & formatted files on Mac or on any supported external device.
Peter has always had great enthusiasm for writing, programming and web development. He likes writing about software and technology, his works are featured on some tech blogs or forums like Tom's Hardware, CNET, etc.