For office workers, PDF file is undoubtedly one of the most widely used file formats. When facing up a PDF business proposal or any other, you may need to edit it for further purposes. But how to edit a PDF on Mac? Actually, MacOS offers a free Preview helping editing PDF on Mac. Here we will introduce several methods to edit a PDF on Mac with or without Preview in 2022.
How to Edit a PDF on Mac Without Preview? Try Free Ways:
The Most Professional PDF Editor on Mac
- Edit and modify the original PDF file on Mac and remain the format
- Highlight, underline, strikeout PDF, add note, free text and free hand
- Insert arrow, line, polyline, polygon, cloud, ellipse, arc and rectangle
- Rearrange PDF pages, rotate pages, delete pages and insert blank pages
Use All-in-One PDF Tool to Edit PDF on Mac Easily
If you want to edit a PDF on Mac at an advanced level, such as, edit the original text, add text to PDF, add stamps, insert shapes, add digital signature or annotate PDF, you can use Cisdem PDFMaster. It not only works as a PDF markup tool, but also merges 7 other tools into one. You can use the program to create, convert, compress, merge, split, encrypt and decrypt PDFs. It supports batch work, greatly improving your productivity.
Why Do We Recommend Cisdem PDFMaster?
- Over 30 PDF tools are provided on this program
- Edit, annotate, convert, create, merge, split, compress, compare, share, sign, protect and decrypt PDF with ease
- Convert PDF to 16+ formats and create PDF from 16+ document types
- Provides safe encryption tools to protect user data
- Supports 200+ languages for users from all over the world
- Fast operation speed and smooth operation steps
- Free to use within 7 days
- Stay productive at workplace, school or home
Here we will give you several tutorials to edit a PDF on Mac with PDFMaster.
Add Text to PDF on Mac with PDFMaster
- Free download and run PDFMaster on your Mac.
- Choose the PDF Edit module and add a PDF file.
- Click on the Text button, drag a text box by pressing and moving the mouse. Input the text, you can also adjust the text settings in the right panel.
- After you add text to PDF, click the Save button.
Highlight PDF on Mac with PDFMaster
- Choose the PDF Edit module and import a PDF file.
- Click on the Highlight tool, choose a color to highlight the PDF text.
- Click on the Save button to export the file.
Annotate PDF with PDFMaster
- Choose the PDF Edit module and upload a PDF file.
- Click on the Annotate tool, choose a note color and double click to add the notes.
- Then click on the Save button.
PDFMaster is easy to use and has an intuitive interface, just choose the module and all the tools will be ready for you to use with ease.
How to Edit a PDF on Mac Preview?
Apple also takes PDF files into consideration when they design Mac, as Apple’s native application, Preview, makes it easy to view and edit Portable Document Files (PDFs). Today, Preview is obviously the most-welcomed and free PDF editor on Mac.
What kind of editing can Preview do to PDF?
- Annotate and markup PDF, you can add a text box, oval or line to your document, even change the color, thickness, or fill of these shapes. And you can highlight, underline or add strikethrough to texts in PDF
- Insert and delete PDF pages
- Copy the selected text so that you can paste it into another document
- Insert your signature into a PDF document
- Add bookmark
We found some users posting "Preview won’t let me edit PDF" on the web. Basically, when we talk about editing a PDF on Mac, we mean editing PDF text on Mac. It’s true that Preview doesn’t allow users to modify the original text directly, but you can absolutely edit PDF text in blank area or on other texts.
Steps on How to Edit a PDF on Mac with Preview?
- Open PDF with Preview on Mac.
- Click Show Markup Toolbar >Text Toolbar, then drag the text box to any blank area and edit PDF text in the box.
- In the case you want to edit PDF by replacing existing texts with newly added ones, you need to white out the text first, then add a text box to edit a PDF on Mac with Preview.Choose the “Border Color” as none, and then click the “Sketch” icon, you will be able to white out the texts you want to replace. Finally, choose the “Text” and edit PDF text in the text box. You can adjust the font size and color as needed by clicking “A”.
- Once finish editing a PDF on Mac with Preview, click Export as PDF to save the changes and allow no changes from others.
tips: Although Preview is free and it doesn’t need to download, it can only do some limited editing for PDF files. If you want to edit a scanned document, Preview may be stranded.
How to Edit a PDF on Mac with Adobe?
As the leader of PDF, Adobe Acrobat Pro is undoubtedly a powerful PDF tool that gathers almost all operations of editing PDF. With this application, editing PDF is too simplistic.
What kind of editing can Adobe Acrobat Pro do to PDF?
- Edit the original text and scanned documents as easily as a pie.
- Edit images in PDF files. It can resize, replace, and adjust images within your PDF file
- Change the font, font size, text color, alignment, and other items of the text box
- Search for a specific word or phrase as well as replace a word with another
- Annotate PDF and add signature to forms
Follow the Steps to Edit PDF on Mac with Adobe Acrobat Pro:
- Run your Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on your Mac, then go to the Tools interface and choose the Edit PDF tool.
- Select a PDF file of your choice.
- Choose the piece of text you want to edit. You can add, insert or delete any PDF text as needed.
- Finally, name your file and save it on your computer/cloud.
How to Edit a PDF on Mac Without Preview? Try Free Ways:
Except for Preview and some paid offline software on Mac, there are still dozens of PDF programs that can solve your problems in editing and no cost to you. Perhaps in the past, we have not seen so many free and useful PDF online tools on the market. But now, many PDF software have begun providing free online services for everyone.
Method 1: How to Edit a PDF on Mac for Free Online?
If you don’t need to edit a PDF on Mac that often, use a free PDF editor online. Here we pick PDFfiller, the PDF editor allowing you to add text, annotate, sign, comment, highlight, etc, you can print and share PDF files online.
To edit a PDF on Mac for free online, check the following guide:
- Upload the PDF that you want to edit on Mac to the online program.
- Choose the mode you want to edit PDF on Mac. If you want to add text to the fields, click “Text” and input the text. If you want to replace some words or sentences with new ones, open the Replace text button. You can modify the original text, adjust the location and size of inputted fonts.
- Click “Done” to save the PDF after editing, you can export as PDF or Word as needed.
- Make sure your Internet connection is in good condition
- Do not upload confidential or private files for editing, potential risk of information leakage may occur to your PDF fiels
- Wait patient when the online program processes uploading, editing and downloading.
Method 2: How to Edit a PDF on Mac in Word and for Free?
If you want to edit a PDF on Mac as freely as possible, make it in editable Word or other formats first, then edit PDF in Word on Mac. Google Docs is a recommended PDF converter for Mac to turn PDF into editable Word. It is also one of the most popular collaboration tools that lets you edit the same PDF document with your colleagues in real-time.
How to Edit PDF Text on Mac for Free?
- Log into your Google Drive and right-click the PDF you need to edit and click Open with > Google Docs.
- Wait a moment and your PDF will be turned into an editable Word.
- Then, you can start editing your PDF on Mac in Word for free.
- When you’re finished editing, go to File > Download to complete the changes.
Is there any free PDF editor to edit a PDF on Mac? Yes, there is, but the problem is, it is limited to very basic editing needs. We showed several solutions in this article to edit a PDF on Mac with/without Preview in 2022. If you want to freely and fully edit PDF files on Mac, you will need a more dedicated solution, such as paid PDF editors. Or you can just convert PDF to any other editable format that you prefer to and edit it easily as you always do. Take my word for it and give the professional software Cisdem PDFMaster a chance to open a new world for yourself.
Megan has an impressive deal of experience with Mac software and has the ability to explain tech stuff in a simplified, straightforward and easy to understand way.