Duplicate photos, duplicate songs and other duplicate files can pile up over time, probably making up most of the unnecessary files on your Windows PC. Duplicate files take up space and make it harder to find the files you are looking for. With a good duplicate file finder for Windows 10, you can easily and efficiently find and delete duplicate files on your Windows computer.
Also, you can go through your files and manually find duplicates to delete, which however would be painfully boring and time-consuming. Duplicate file finder and remover software will make the job a breeze.
The best duplicate file finder for Windows 10 2021
#1 Cisdem Duplicate Finder
Compatibility: Windows 10, Windows 11
Cisdem Duplicate Finder for Windows is a powerful and easy-to-use app to find and remove all types of duplicate files. The outstanding performance, great ease of use and high customizability make it the best app to get rid of duplicate files on Windows 10.
- Find duplicate photos, audios, videos, documents and other duplicates
- Accurately and quickly identify duplicate files
- Find near duplicate photos too
- Let you find duplicate files in a folder/drive or across multiple locations
- Work with your computer, portable hard drive, SD card, etc.
- Let you preview duplicate photos side by side or in detail
- Automatically select duplicate files for you to delete with 1 click
- Also provide multiple selection rules
- Offer 3 ways to delete, such as Move to Recycle Bin
- Easy and safe to use
- Let you customize how to find and remove duplicate files
- Incompatible with 32-bit versions of Windows
You can use Cisdem Duplicate Finder for Windows to scan a folder/drive or multiple locations for duplicate files. If you want, you can exclude specific folders (such as a backup folder) or files from scan.
Once the scan is finished, the All tab will display all the found duplicate files. You can also view them by file type such as Images. There are three preview modes, letting you conveniently preview duplicate photo files.
This duplicate file finder already smartly and automatically selects duplicates for you to quickly eliminate with a single click. Or, you can choose a selection rule or select by hand.
- It uses advanced algorithms to automatically detect duplicate files, saving you from manually identifying them one by one. It also helps you find similar photos.
- You can easily set the scan to ignore system files/folders and other files/folders you specify.
- You can easily sort, preview and view the duplicate files that have been found, being able to know well what you are dealing with.
- Thanks to the auto selection, you don’t have to select duplicates for deletion one by one by hand.
- Also, a number of selection rules are provided to help you quickly select duplicate files for removal based on your preference.
- By default, it deletes selected duplicates by moving them to the Recycle Bin. If accidental deletion happens, you can easily restore accidentally deleted files.
- It’s very easy to use yet powerful, a great choice for both beginners and advanced users.
#2 Easy Duplicate Finder
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10
Feeling overwhelmed by thousands of duplicate files on your Windows 10 computer? Easy Duplicate Finder may help.
- Scan for all common types of duplicate files such as duplicate images
- Provide an option to export the scan results
- Let you view the found duplicate files by file type
- Let you preview the found duplicate images
- Make it easy to filter the found duplicates
- Offer rules to help you mass select duplicates for removal
- Allow you to permanently delete selected duplicates or move them to the Recycle Bin
- Come with a helpful wizard to guide you through all steps
- Available in 8 languages
- Scan slowly sometimes
- A bit expensive with a price tag of $39.95
As one of the top-rated duplicate file finders for Windows 10, this app lives up to its name and is easy to navigate and use.
When it finishes finding duplicate files in the folder of your choice, it will display them all for you to sort and examine. With its Preview feature, you can preview image duplicates within the app, which is handy.
- It can scan your Windows 10 computer for various types of duplicate files, the elimination of which will free up storage space.
- You are allowed to configure scan settings to get more desirable scan results. For example, you can ask the scan to skip system files.
- You can easily take a look at the duplicate files before deciding which ones to keep and which ones to delete.
- There are several rules to help you bulk select duplicate files for removal, saving you from manually selecting.
- Thanks to its Undo feature, you can effortlessly undo the removal of files.
- The surprise is that you can also use the app to remove duplicate files from Google Drive. Note that this will require access to your Google account.
#3 Duplicate Cleaner
Compatibility: Windows 7, 8 and 10
This is probably the best Windows 10 duplicate file finder for advanced users. If you are tech savvy and enjoy playing around with different settings when using a piece of software, Duplicate Cleaner is worth considering.
- Find duplicate photo files, duplicate music files, duplicate documents and more
- Offer 4 scan modes: Regular, Image, Audio and Video
- Offer customization options and filters for each mode
- Let you view duplicates using Details or Thumbnail view mode
- Come with built-in image viewer and media player
- Provide Selection Assistant to help mark duplicate files to remove
- Highly customizable
- Overwhelming interface
- Definitely not beginner-friendly
- A bit costly
Duplicate Cleaner is fantastic if you know how to make the most of it, which can be made possible with its very detailed user manual.
This duplicate file finder for Windows 10 uses hash algorithms (MD5, SHA-256 and more) to compare files and identify the identical ones. Before performing a scan, you can change the comparison method if needed.
- You can use the Image mode for finding duplicate images and Audio mode for duplicate songs. There are different scan modes for different needs.
- It gives experienced users advanced features and options to play with. There is a lot of room for customization.
- The Selection Assistant feature is impressive and powerful. You can experiment with the options until duplicate files are marked for deletion in your preferred way.
- There is a very detailed (maybe too detailed) user manual.
#4 Ashisoft Duplicate File Finder
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32-bit and 64-bit
If you are looking for a good basic duplicate file finder, you can check out Duplicate File Finder by Ashisoft.
- Search for duplicate files on Windows 10 and older versions
- Offer several Search Options
- Let you easily preview photo duplicates with the built-in photo viewer
- Provide an Auto Mark feature to mark unwanted duplicates
- Let you directly delete marked duplicates or move them to a specified folder
- Come with a simple interface
- Relatively slow
- Expensive one-time purchase
This is a pretty basic tool to help you find file duplicates on Windows 10. The interface is simple and easy to understand, which is its biggest advantage.
- It provides an easy solution to deal with duplicate files and helps free up space on PC.
- Its Protect Folders feature allows you to add folders for protection. This way, your important folders are always safe and untouched no matter how you use this app.
- There is no need to go through duplicate files and select unwanted ones to delete. The Auto Mark feature will do that for you.
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, 32-bit and 64-bit
Looking for the best free duplicate file finder for Windows 10? dupeGuru can be the choice.
- Free and open source
- Find and delete duplicate files on Windows computer
- Find similar files as well
- Offer 3 modes to scan for duplicates: Standard, Music and Picture
- Available in 17 languages
- Slow scans
- Can’t find all duplicate files in a location
- No built-in preview
This piece of freeware can scan folders on your computer for duplicate files and similar files. In addition to basic features, it has some options to help improve user experience, such as an option to ignore small files when scanning.
- It’s totally free to use. There is no limitation. You have access to all features and options.
- It does a decent job of detecting duplicate files.
- There are three modes, with different scan types for different modes. For example, With the Music mode, you can scan for duplicate songs by filename, tags and contents.
Compatibility: Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, 32-bit and 64-bit
CCleaner is a utility to clean unwanted files and help boost computer performance. One big source of unwanted files can be duplicate files. Therefore, this utility comes with a duplicate finder tool.
- Available for free
- Let you find duplicate files on Windows by content or filename
- Let you exclude system files from scan
- Display the found duplicate files for you to view
- Not available standalone
- Can’t find all duplicates
- Not convenient for removing duplicates
With this free duplicate file finder for Windows 7, 8 and 10, you can quickly locate duplicate files in folders. You have control over how it searches for them.
- It’s free to use. You don’t have to pay to access and use the duplicate finder tool.
- You can set the tool to compare files by filename, size, modification date or content (recommended).
- To delete duplicate files that you don’t want to keep, you need to select them first. There are a few options to help you quickly select.
#7 Auslogics Duplicate File Finder
Compatibility: Windows 7, 8.1 and 10, 32-bit and 64-bit
Here’s another Windows 10 free app to find and delete duplicate files. Supporting common file types, it should be able to find most of the duplicate files on a PC.Cons
- Free for everyone to use
- Let you scan only certain file types for duplicate files
- Avoid system folders when scanning
- Provide a Rescue Center feature
- Easy to use and customize
- Come bundled with potentially unwanted programs
- Incapable of finding as many duplicates as others
- A little bit slow
During the installation of this free duplicate file finder for Windows, you will be prompted to install other Auslogics programs, which are potentially not unwanted. Decline them.
- It uses MD5 checksums to search for duplicate files. There is no need to do the search yourself.
- It’s pretty customizable. There are two modes: Look for all file types and Look for these file types only.
- By default, system folders will be ignored when the app scans for duplicates on your computer, which helps prevent any system file from being affected.
Why are there duplicate files on my computer?
There are many possible causes, such as copying and pasting of files, unnecessary backups, downloading the same files twice and importing the same photos twice. Duplicates are almost inevitable. If there are many of them on your PC, it’s a good idea to weed them out.
Can Windows 10 find duplicate files?
No. Windows 10 operating system doesn’t have a built-in duplicate file finder to help users identify and remove duplicate files. But you can use its file manager app File Explorer to do it manually.
What is the best duplicate file finder and remover for Windows?
According to tests and reviews, Cisdem Duplicate Finder is the best app to automatically find duplicate files and mass delete them with your permission. It offers both basic and advanced features and options to meet users’ needs.
We create, copy, download and import hundreds and thousands of files, which can result in duplicate files on our computers. We want to get rid of them and get organized. Luckily, duplicate file finder Windows 10 software can help us get the job done easily and efficiently. Keep only the files you need and make room for new files!