Most official and financial reports are saved in PDF format, due to its diversified formatting and high security. But what if you need to analyze or extract data from a PDF contract or others on Mac?
Reasons to convert a PDF file to Excel on Mac can be different, and it is lucky that we have multiple solutions to perform such a conversion. Here, we are going to list 6 best converters to convert PDF to Excel on Mac, including both online and offline free options.
Best PDF to Excel Converter for Mac 2024
Free Download macOS 10.13 or later
- Convert PDF to Excel without data loss and formatting mess.
- Support multiple inputs: convert native, scanned and encrypted PDF.
- Enable to combine all PDF pages into a single Excel sheet.
- Convert PDF to over 20 formats like Pages, Keynote, Word, PPT, etc.
- Create PDF from 40+ popular formats and merge inputs into one PDF.
- Provide OCR feature in 18 languages.
- All conversions allow partial conversion and bulk processing.
Diverse Reasons to Convert PDF to Excel
As mentioned at the beginning, the reasons why we need to convert PDF to Excel can be various, check them below:
- Make Data Analysis Easier and More Organized: Excel is initially designed for storing and manipulating large amounts of information at once. You can utilize features like filter, sort and other various calculations on your data, which are not available in PDF format.
- Bring Convenience to Edit Content and Collaborative Work: It often occurs that the tables and charts included in your PDF require a regular update. But PDF is a static format, slightly cumbersome to edit without a handy editor. Thus, converting it to an Excel file will make the process easier. On top of that, Excel files can be shared and accessed among team members simply, which is conducive to collaborative work.
Convert PDF to Excel on Mac Without Losing Formatting
It is true that a part of users prefer online PDF to Excel converters in the beginning, but finally, most of them will pick a professional Mac PDF to Excel Converter to perform the conversion, since a dedicated PDF to Excel converter can bring high conversion quality and the formatting can be highly maintained. In this case, Cisdem PDF Converter OCR is a good choice basing on its interface, simplicity to use, conversion quality, speed, safety and additional features.
Cisdem PDF Converter OCR is a PDF OCR Software for Mac, which can convert both normal and scanned PDF documents, even images, into searchable or editable and well-formatted Excel, Word, Text, PowerPoint, Excel, RTF, EPUB, HTML, Keynote, Pages, etc.
How to Convert PDF to Excel on Mac Without Losing Formatting
- Free download and install PDF Converter OCR to your Mac.
Free Download macOS 10.13 or later
- Import PDF files to the program on Mac (download the OCR module if you upload images or scanned PDF files).
- Choose the page range (all pages or specify page numbers in the box) and choose output format as to XLSX.
- If you have the need to combine all pages into a single sheet, then click on the EXCEL Setting icon and apply it.
- Convert PDF to Excel on Mac without losing formatting: Select a folder on your Mac to save your files. Then, click Convert to start the PDF to Excel conversion process. The status bar will indicate a successful conversion within seconds.
Also, you can check the video tutorial to convert PDF to Excel with Cisdem.
How to Convert PDF to Excel on Mac Preview for Free?
There is a convenient way to convert PDF to Excel on Mac using macOS free utility - Preview. Preview can view, edit, annotate, highlight, print and manage PDF pages, also enable to export PDF to image format, but doesn’t include Excel as the output format. In this case, you will have to copy and paste contents from PDF to a Excel file.
- Open PDF with Preview.
- Select the PDF data and right click to choose Copy.
- Then open a blank Excel spreadsheet, paste the PDF data to the file and save it.
Notes: While this method eliminates the need to download and install complex software on the desktop, it can clutter numbers and formats and require you to manually adjust them. If you mind, you can look for new solutions in next parts.
How to Convert PDF to Excel Without Software? (Free Online Converters)
Also, there are free online PDF to Excel converters for your choice, we pick 2 of them that bring good conversion quality, but before visiting these tools, you should be aware of the following:
- Make sure your Internet connection is in good condition.
- Don't upload large size files for conversion, the process may take longer time, even pause for no reason.
- Don't upload complicated files for conversion, the conversion quality will be greatly sacrificed when your PDF files are filled with tables, images, etc.
- Recheck the converted files and manually adjust the format or layout if necessary.
- Don't upload private files for conversion, your files are stored in the online server for a while, which may cause information leakage.
The reason why put this online PDF to Excel converter here is mainly due to the good conversion quality, you will find all the data are well formatted in individual row and column.
PDFtoExcel is exclusively designed to convert both native and scanned PDFs into Excel. You can upload PDF files from Mac, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive. And it processes the conversion quite fast.
Steps to Convert PDF to Excel on Mac Online Free with PDFtoExcel
- Go to https://www.pdftoexcel.com/.
- Click Upload or directly drag ad drop files into the program without signing up or emails.
- The conversion will start automatically, once ready, a Free Download button will be available, click it to get your Excel output.
It ranks as my second best online free choice due to its satisfying conversion quality. By saying “Satisfying”, I mean online2pdf does bring better results than other similar online PDF converters, but in terms of format and layout intactness, it still requires users to manually adjust after the conversion.
online2pdf.com allows you to upload multiple PDF files up to 100 MB from your computer. After uploading, you can convert both native and scanned PDF files to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, RTF, TXT on Mac for free. Another impressive feature from online2pdf, lies in how it allows users to customize the Excel outputs.
Steps to Convert PDF to Excel on Mac Online Free with online2pdf
- Go to online2pdf, upload PDFs files that you want to convert to Excel on Mac.
- Choose output as Excel and select OCR if you have uploaded a scanned file.
- Also, you can combine files, unlock PDF, rotate pages or split pages before conversion.
- Click Convert to turn PDF into Excel online.
Once the conversion finishes, the downloading for your Excel output will start automatically, just save to your preferred path on Mac.
Convert PDF to Excel on Mac in Adobe Acrobat If You Have
Adobe Acrobat DC is a powerful tool to manage PDFs, you can view, create, export, sign, redact PDF, etc. With its feature of "Export PDF", users will be allowed to convert PDF to Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Image even HTML.
How to convert PDF to Excel on Mac in Adobe Acrobat DC?
- Run Adobe Acrobat DC on your Mac.
- Go to Tools > Export PDF.
- Choose Spreadsheet as output, you will be able to convert PDF to Excel on Mac with Adobe, no data or format is lost.
Import PDF to Excel on Mac Using Microsoft Excel
If you don’t want to use any 3rd party tool or service for the conversion, you can utilize your Mac Microsoft Office Excel, it allows pasting data from PDF to Excel, also inserting PDF to Excel as URL or image.
#1 Extract Data from PDF to Excel on Mac
- Open a new spreadsheet.
- Go to Data > Get Data > From PDF.
- Then choose the table you need to insert, and click on the Load button to export data from PDF.
#2 Insert PDF to Excel on Mac as URL Using Excel
- Upload the PDF into your cloud storage account, like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc., get the link.
- Copy the PDF file link.
- Paste the url to Excel document using Mac MS Excel.
- Save the Excel document.
#3 Insert PDF to Excel on Mac as Image Using Excel
- Run MS Excel on your Mac.
- Click on the cell where to insert the PDF, drag and drop PDF to Excel document, or you can click Insert and select the file to add.
- Choose the PDF page to insert, click Insert.
- Then go to File > Save.
Tips to Minimize Data Loss and Formatting Issues After Conversion
The most likely potential problems when converting a PDF to an Excel file are data loss and formatting issues. In order to avoid such situations as much as possible, the tips and tricks listed here can help a lot.
- First of all, start with a high-quality PDF file if possible. A complicated PDF file, such as those with sophisticated layouts, multiple tables, or embedded images, may not convert cleanly. Besides, make sure that the images and texts contained in the PDF are high-resolution, if not, they will also fail to be recognized in the converted file.
- In the second place, choose a powerful PDF to Excel converter. Using different conversion tools for the same original file will lead to various conversion results. A high-performance PDF converter offline usually yields better results compared to online services. More importantly, some converter software even has the OCR capabilities, doing a good job on scanned files.
- The last but not least, check and revise the mistakes inside the converted file. As a matter of fact, no converter can guarantee 100% accuracy of conversion result, and there will inevitably be some small errors. Hence, you’d better review the file and manually correct them.
In most cases, we seek free or low-cost solutions to perform document conversion, but only to find dedicated tools get the best results in the most efficient way. This is also true when we are trying to convert PDF to Excel on mac. According to above tests, free solutions do really help when you are not working on complicated PDF files. But if you want to retain original file quality and look for better user experience, you’d better try a professional PDF to Excel Converter like Cisdem PDF OCR Converter, it is worth a try.
Free Download macOS 10.13 or later
Jose specializes in reviews, how-to guides, top lists, etc. on PDF, data recovery and multi-media. On his spare time, he likes to travel or challenge some extreme sports.