I believe that many people have lost a mobile phone, and I ever lost two mobile phones. If you're reading this article, I assume that you just lost your beloved iPhone or iPad or someone stole it. And you must be in despair and want your device and retrieve your iPhone data as soon as possible. Fortunately, there's a way to track your iOS device down, lock it or wipe its data. Using the following steps, you are able to locate a lost or stolen iPhone, iPad or Mac.
Find My iPhone is actually a cloud-based service by Apple, you don't have to install Find My iPhone app on your iPhone or any other iOS devices. The app is only another way of accessing this service to locate your iPhone or other Apple devices. Now, all you need is a browser and your Apple ID login details. Before you track your lost or stolen iPhone or iPad using Find My iPhone, please make sure that Find My iPhone has been set up on the device you want to locate.
If you don't think you'll be able to get your iPhone or iPad back and worry about your personal information will fall into bad guys' hands , you can choose "Erase iPhone" to wipe all your data on your lost or stolen device. This is a last-resort option, and Find My iPhone won't work anymore on your device afterwards. And if you get a new iPhone, you can also transfer the lost iPhone data to the new one via iCloud or iTunes. If fortunately you get your lost iPhone back, you can also recover deleted files directly from it.
tips: That's all you have to do to track and locate your lost iOS device. Please keep in mind that your lost device needs to be turned on and connected to the internet. If it is in airplane mode or turned off and not connected to WiFi, you won't be able to track it using Find My iPhone.
1. You can also install Find My iPhone app on your any other iOS device to track and locate the lost or stolen iPhone or iPad. This is a more convenient way.
2. Set up Find My iPhone on every iOS device or Mac in order to use Find My iPhone to find your device when needed. To do this, go to the iCloud tab in Settings, and set the switch for Find My iPhone to On.
3. Always backup your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes to avoid data loss due to restoring to factory settings or other situations.
4. Find My iPhone is more likely designed to improve your iPhone or iPad security and privacy rather than finding your device. So don't hold your breath.
5. If you believe your iPhone or iPad was stolen and are currently tracking it. Do not attempt to get it back yourself. Instead, report it to the police. At last, wish you will find your lost device soon.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.
if u lost a iphone months ago, is it possible to get it back?
I think it is unlikely to get the lost iPhone back. As Rosa said, Find My iPhone requires that the lost iPhone is always online. And in the real world, few people can get lost iPhone back especially if the iPhone was stolen.
it is possible but not many users can keep tracking for such a long time, and Find My iPhone requires that lost iPhone is always online.
Sadly, I lost my iPhone 5 last year, but i didn't get it back and the only thing i can do was to erase its contents and data.