FLAC audio files earn users’ strong support because they compress the audio with lossless quality. What disappointing is that FLAC is not compatible to Apple devices such as iTunes, iPhones, etc.. However, unlike converting FLAC to MP3, convert FLAC to M4A(alac) will get the same lossless file without quality loss. Therefore, you can enjoy the impeccable FLAC files on Apple devices. In this article, you will know how to batch convert FLAC to M4A without losing quality on Mac and Windows easily.
FLAC is the abbreviation of Free Lossless Audio Codec that is an open source audio coding format, which can compress the digital audios lossless. Actually, we could regard FLAC as the high-definition version of MP3 while the compressed FLAC file is smaller 50% to 70% in size than WAV.
M4A is a container format using MPEG-4 compression technology, which is developed by Apple. It can used for both AAC (lossy) and ALAC (lossless) codecs. So when you need to convert FLAC to M4A, you actually convert FLAC to AAC or ALAC. By converting FLAC to M4A(AAC) you will convert the lossless audio to a lossy audio will means quality loss, by converting FLAC M4A(ALAC) you get the same lossless audio file which almost at the same quality.
The short answer is iTunes. The longer answer is Apple ecosystem. FLAC to not supported by iTunes, Apple Music and devices. If you use iTunes to manage you music library. You have subscribed Apple Music or iCloud Music library, you have no choice but converting FLAC to Apple supported formats like M4A. In this way you can still listen the FLAC and dont have to change the way you used to.
Many people prefer to convert FLAC to M4A online because they don’t bother to download a third-party tool. Actually, using online converters has more disadvantages than advantages when you use. For example:
But a professional desktop converter doesn’t have all of the above problems because of the powerful and stable technology and database support. Therefore, we will introduce some excellent desktop converters in the following to help you do a satisfied conversion.
If you want to find a preeminent FLAC to M4A converter for Mac, Cisdem Video Converter is such a professional software that can convert FLAC to M4A on Mac quickly and safely. With the built-in video enhancer, it ensures to give you a fast and reliable conversion experience that won’t diminish the quality. Cisdem Video Converter is the best FLAC converter because it offers many powerful functions and considerate features for users such as it supports to convert several files at the same time.
1. Download and install the software on the official website.
2. Launch it on your Mac, head to section to convert. Upload the FLAC files by clicking “File > Add File (s)...” on the main menu or dragging and dropping the FLAC files into the surface. If you have want to batch convert several file at a time, you can directly add more files to the interface.
3. After uploading the FLAC files, the thumbnail of the files will come into the surface right away. Click the blue thumbnail at the right side to choose “General Audio > M4A Audio” as the output format.
Convert FLAC to M4A(AAC)
If you want to convert FLAC to a smaller size file you can set the codec as AAC. and when you set the quality as high you will get an M4A files that is smaller and at a high quality. just click icon to set the Codec as AAC and Quality as High.
Convert FLAC to M4A(ALAC)
If you need a same lossless quality M4A from FLAC, you can set the Codec to ALAC and quality to HIgh.
5. Besides, you can also click icon at the top right corner of the thumbnail to design a preferable audio file that fits your need.
6. Finally, you can choose the save destination by clicking "File > Save convert folder to..." on the top main bar. Then, simply click button at the right corner to convert all the files.
GiliSoft Audio Converter Ripper is a superb audio converter for Windows that can convert free between all audio formats. An amazing function of this great convert is that you can use it to extract some certain audio stream from MP4, AVC and other popular video formats, which provides much convenience for musicians and people who are learning languages. In addition, this converter allows you to convert a certain segment from a long file by clicking the start and end time of the audio. Therefore, you must have this wonderful audio converter to convert FLAC to M4A on Windows if you are a Windows’ user.
Fre:ac can convert FLAC to M4A and other popular audio formats and encoders on Mac for free. Comparing to other converters, Fre:ac is a portable application that you can install it on a USB drive and use it anytime and anywhere. If you save all the features before you close Fre:ac, its system will memorize your operation and it is convenient for you to use it with the original data i when you open Fre:ac again.
Besides, someone may be confused that there is no option with the word “M4A” when they use Fre:ac to convert FLAC to M4A. Don’t worry, we have known that M4A is saved in the MPEG-4 format and encoded with either the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) codec or the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC). Therefore, at this point, you can select the “core audio AAC/ALAC encoder” as the output format when you do the conversion.
1. Download and install the application on your computer.
2. Open it and click add files icon to select a FLAC file for converting. Then it will forms a thumbnail of the file.
3. Click the drop-down menu of “Selected encoder” box to select the “Core Audio AAC/ALAC Encoder” as the output format. Besides, you can also click the “Output folder” to set the output destination.
4. Once done, click icon to begin the conversion. And you can see the process of the conversion
Freemake Video Converter is well-known as one of the best converters for Windows, which is a free and professional FLAC converter to deal well with converting 500+ video and audio formats in a fast speed. It works to compatible to different devices such as Apple iPhone, iPad, Google Android, Huawei and more. Besides, it is a all-in-one converter that can also burn DVDs and make photos slideshows.
Although online converters don’t work greatly than desktop converter, there still are some great online FLAC to M4A converters on the market for you to choose from. And Zamzar is exactly such a superior online converter that allows you to convert all common audio formats. Among all of the online converters, Zamzar is one of fastest online converters that convert faster than others. Besides, It comes to a simple interface, making it pretty easy to use for users.
Convertio online converter is a safe website to convert FLAC to M4A online that will delete the uploaded files automatically after 24 hours. Unlike most online converters, it provides customizable setting to users, which allows users to edit the related information of the file including file quality, aspect ratio and other settings. In addition, Convertio is a rare online converter that support to batch convert files and is one of the fastest online converters .
1. Head to Convertio official website and click “Choose Files” to upload a FLAC files. If you want to convert several files at the same time, you can click “Add more files” to select more files.
2. Click the drop-down icon of “Convert all to” select the output format with M4A.
3. Besides, if you want to set the file before conversion, you can click button of the video’s thumbnail to edit more details.
4. Finally, please click the red “Convert” button at the right corner to start the conversion. After done, you can click “Download” to save the M4A file on your computer.
People are usually tend to choose free converters. However, if you need to convert FLAC to M4A files frequently and have an urgent demand for high quality, paid video converters are highly recommended as they can provide you with a better experience. For example, professional converters have high requirement in quality, can convert almost all video and audio formats, can batch convert the files to save your time, provide many customized features and more merits. Of course, you can make a choice with your mind. I wish that it will help you to find a suitable one after reading this article.
Megan has an impressive deal of experience with Mac software and has the ability to explain tech stuff in a simplified, straightforward and easy to understand way.