The official version of macOS Ventura has been released for some time. It always makes us excited to install and try the new features & enhanced performances of an updated macOS, especially this macOS brings us: improved search in Mail app, enhanced imaeg search in spotlight, sign in Safari with passkeys, more powerful Messages app, share and manage photos smartly and efficiently, organize apps and windows with Stage Manager, use iPhone as your webcam, etc.
Instead of upgrading, you may have decided to clean install macOS, for the reason that you want to erase your Mac for a new start, or for the reason that you are going to transfer the Mac’s ownership. In this post, we will show you how to clean install macOS Ventura or Monterey from a bootable USB drive, also give the solution if files lost after macOS install.
Recover Lost Data After macOS Clean Install
- Restore lost files after macos update, downgrade, reinstallation
- Restore deleted and formatted files
- Repair corrupted or unplayable videos: mp4, mov, avi, mkv, m4v, etc.
- Support data recovery from Mac internal and external hard drive
- Support recovering 200+ files: video, audio, photo, document, archive, email, etc.
- Filter files quickly
- Preview files, including video, photo, pdf, word, excel, powerpoint, text, audio, etc.
- Recover files to local drive or cloud platforms
Requirements to Clean Install macOS Ventura/Monterey
Not all Apple laptop and desktop can have a clean install of macOS 13 or 12.
macOS 13 Ventura can run on following models:
- iMac---2017 and later
- iMac Pro---2017
- MacBook Air---2018 and later
- MacBook Pro---2017 and later
- Mac Pro---2019 and later
- Mac Studio---2022MacBook---Early 2016 and later
- Mac mini---2018 and later
- MacBook---2017 and later
macOS 12 Monterey can run on following models:
- iMac---Late 2015 and later
- iMac Pro---2017 and later
- Mac mini---Late 2014 and later
- Mac Pro---Late 2013 and later
- MacBook Air---Early 2015 and later
- MacBook---Early 2016 and later
- MacBook Pro---Early 2015 and later
The installer of both macOS Ventura and Monterey is about 12GB, but you still need extra space to get it work properly and leave enough space to install some important apps on your Mac to check if your workflow can be elevated efficiently. So, make sure at least 16 GB available on your hard drive to clean install this new version.
Also, prepare 2 external drives, one to back up files, the other one to create the bootable installer (at least 16GB). When clean install macOS, we are often recommended to install from a bootable USB, which is able to install the OS from scratch, especially in the case that our current OS runs slowly/improperly, or you want to install macOS on different devices.
How to Clean Install macOS Ventura or Monterey on Mac from Bootable USB?
There are 3 steps to clean install macOS, the first, also the most important step is always to back up your files to external hard drive or cloud-based accounts. Now, let’s check out the steps.
Step 1. Back Up File to External Drive or iCloud
Option 1. Back up all files to external drive via TimeMachine
- Connect the external drive to your Mac.
- Click on Apple menu>System Preferences>Time Machine.
- Click on Backup Disk.
Option 2. Backup important files online
- Click on Apple menu>System Preferences>iCloud.
- Login in with Apple ID.
- Tweak the settings.
Step 2. Create A Bootable Installer for macOS Ventura/Monterey on USB
- First, download the macOS Ventura beta version or Monterey to your Mac.
Download macOS Ventura.
Download macOS Monterey.
- Run Terminal app in Finder>Application.
- Copy and paste the command line as following.
For Ventura: “sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 13\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume” in Terminal.
For Montery: “sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume”
You need to replace MyVolume with the name of your USB drive, check Step 4.
- Now, connect your USB to Mac, open Disk Utility, click on External>USB Drive>Find the name in Mount Point, and input to replace MyVolume in Terminal.
- Back in the Terminal interface, press Return and enter your password to run the command.
Step 3. Adjust Startup Security Options to Enable Booting from USB
- Press and hold Command+R, you will see the apple logo and then the interface prompting you to enter password.
- After you have entered the Recovery Mode, click on Utilities>Startup Security Utility.
- Then check before the box No Security and Allow booting from external or removable media, click the Close button to save the settings.
- Click on Apple logo>Shut down.
Step 4. Clean Install macOS Ventura/Monterey
- Press and hold Option key until you are prompted to enter the password, input it to continue.
- Choose the bootable USB drive.
- Choose Disk Utility.
- Select your Mac internal hard drive and click Erase to clean the entire disk up for macOS Ventura/ Monterey installation.
- When the erasing is done, close the Disk Utility Windows and click on Install macOS Ventura Beta or Monterey to start the clean installation from your USB.
- Follow the instructions and tweak the OS settings according to your needs.
What If Files Lost After Clean Installing macOS?
Generally speaking, if you have backed up your files and do the installation properly, it is not likely to lose files. But if you get the bad luck and lost files ater macOS update, try Cisdem Data Recovery, the best mac recovery tool to get your files back.
Cisdem Data Recovery for Mac is designed to recover lost, deleted and formatted files on mac, under different situations like macOS update, downgrade, hard drive formatting, accidental file deletion, etc. It not only supports recovering files from Mac internal hard drive, but recovers files from Mac external storage devices (SD Card, USB, removable device, etc.)
Main Features of Cisdem Data Recovery
- Recover lost, deleted, formatted files
- Restore files from Mac internal and external drive
- Support recovery on 200+ files: documents, videos, audios, photos, archives, etc.
- Repair corrupted videos: mp4, mov, avi, mkv, m4v...
- Preview recoverable files (video, photo, document, audio, etc.)
- Quickly search files with filter tool
- Recover files to local drive or cloud platforms
- Fast and easy to use
How to Recover Lost File After Clean Installing macOS?
- Download and install Cisdem Data Recovery on your Mac.
- Choose the hard drive and click Search for lost files to start scanning the disk.
- Go to Type or Path to check the found files, or you can use the filter tool to quickly search specific files. Preview the recoverable files and select them.
- Click Recover to get them all back to your Mac.
If you have decided to clean install macOS Ventura or Monterey on your device, keep in mind to back up your files before any action. A clean install macOS make your Mac brand new and run faster, but any data loss would be a tragic, so, never overlook the backup step.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.