Do you often go to restaurant for Chinese cuisine? Do you have any interest in learning Chinese or Chinese culture? If yes, you must be either in the situation to copy and paste Chinese in translator for better understanding, or extract some Chinese resources for study, etc.
But if you are working on some scanned Chinese files in PDF or Image format, you will need to do Chinese OCR to recognize the Chinese characters from PDF or image first, in this case, a Chinese OCR App is required. Here we list 6 best Chinese OCR software for Mac, Windows or Android/iOS mobile phone.
Recognize Simplified & Traditional Chinese Accurately
Free Download Free Download
- Recognize Chinese characters from both scanned PDF and image
- Export Chinese files to searchable PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ePub, HTML, etc.
- Recognize 200+ langugages: Chinese, English, Japanese, Arabic, Spanish, etc.
- Batch OCR files in seconds
- Advanced OCR techonology, fast speed, high quality, rich formats and excellent performance
- Create PDF from Word, Image and other 40+ formats
- Convert native PDF to 15+ formats
Best Chinese OCR Software for Mac/Windows in 2023
To recognize Chinese characters accurately, including simplified and traditional Chinese, the best solution is using a professional Chinese OCR program, which can guarantee a high quality OCR result and offer extended features to give a wonderful experience on doing Chinese OCR.
Basing on the benchmarks of simplicity, OCR accuracy, output format support and batch support, we picked the best for you.
Best Chinese OCR Software for Mac/Windows
If you want to do Chinese OCR, you will need the help of professional Chinese OCR tool. And the best Chinese OCR software goes to Cisdem PDF OCR Converter OCR, the best PDF Converter for Mac and Windows users, enabling users to convert native, scanned PDF and images into 16 formats, including PDF to Word, Excel, PPTX, ePub, Text, HTML, etc.
Cisdem can recognize 200+ languages, it supports OCR Chinese from both PDF and Image files, the steps will be a bit different and here we list the steps as following.
Steps for Chinese Character Recognition from PDF
- Download Cisdem PDF Converter OCR, install it.
- Import single or multiple Chinese PDF for character recognition.
You can drag and drop to import files, or click “+” to add Chinese PDF files.
- Prepare for Chinese OCR setting.
You need to turn the OCR button On first after uploading PDF files, then choose file language as Chinese. Don’t forget to select output format as OCR PDF or Word if you want to OCR Chinese PDF to seachable or editable text.
- Advanced Chinese OCR Settings.
This program supports customizing the conversion range of the documents, you can set the page range beside the corresponding documents.
- Start Chinese OCR PDF on PC.
Click “Convert” to start the Chinese OCR process. Get the editable Chinese file in output folder. You will find the Chinese OCR is processed accurately and fast.
Notes: To OCR protected Chinese files, click on the lock icon to enter correct password or use PDF Password Remover to remove forgotten password.
Steps for Chinese Character Recognition from Image on Windows/Mac
- Download and install Cisdem PDF Converter OCR on your PC.
- Drag and drop to add all images to the program. The OCR feature will be auto enabled.
- Choose file language as Chinese and select an output format for the Chinese image.
- Click Convert to start OCR Chinese from image.
Best Chinese OCR App Online Free
Though you are recommended to do Chinese OCR with professional Chinese OCR software for the sake of high accuracy and security, if you are working on simple Chinese files and don’t do this very often, you can still utilize free ways to do Chinese character recognition online.
#1 Google Chinese OCR
As we know, Google offers various online services to boost productivity for us. Among those free services, there is an online platform to manage documents called Google Drive. It builds in a program Google Docs, allowing users to open, convert and perform OCR on Google supported files. That’s to say, you can perform Chinese OCR in both PDF and image with Google Docs.
- Login in Google Account and go to Google Drive.
- Upload Chinese PDF or images into Google Drive by clicking “New” or directly drag and drop into the right panel.
- Open Chinese file with Google Docs by right click on the file. Google Docs will perform OCR on the Chinese file automatically.
- (Optional) Check the Google Chinese OCR result, manually adjust or edit if needed;
- Go to File>Download as, choose your preferred output format.
Things You Need to Pay Attention to Google Chinese OCR
- Google OCR supports Chinese files in scanned PDF and Images (JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP);
- Check and manually adjust OCR result due to unstable OCR performance of Google Docs;
- Don't upload complicate Chinese file for OCR, the OCR results may be quite poor;
- Google Chinese OCR doesn’t support batch OCR
- Don't upload private files for Chinese OCR due to potential risk of information leakage when storing files on 3rd server;
#2 Convertio Chinese OCR
Another online free OCR program to do Chinese OCR is Convertio. It is more like a OCR converter to recognize image-based files and then export as editable formats. It does a great job to support various input and output formats. Though not able to recognize as many languages as Google Chinese OCR, it supports to recognize all the popular languages.
- Go to Convertio OCR.
- Upload PDF or image Chinese files from local or other online sources.
- Choose file language as Chinese, then select output and page range.
- Then click “Recognize” button to start Convertio Chinese OCR.
Disadvantages of Convertio Chinese OCR
- Only 10 pages can be done with Chinese OCR for free
- Unstable Chinese OCR result especially when working on complicate files
- Potential risk of information leakage
Best Chinese OCR App for Android or iPhone
Best Chinese OCR App for iPhone
Scan &Translate is a highly rated iOS program to do Chinese OCR, also allows user to translate the texts from Chinese files to English and other 90 languages.
Main Features of Scan & Translate
- Recognize files in 70 languages: Chinese, Russian, German, Japanese, etc
- Translate files to 90+ languages
- Extract and copy texts from image-based file
- Share texts on social media platform easily
How to Do Chinese OCR and Translate on iPhone?
- Download and install Scan & Translate on your iPhone.
- Select language as Chinese.
- Import Chinese files from photo library or take a picture of the document, then press Scan.
- Once the Chinese OCR is done, select the target language to translate the Chinese files.
Best Chinese OCR App for Android Phone
Text Fairy is a highly recommended Chinese OCR app for Android users, it receives good reputation from its users on Google Play, but it supports OCR Chinese and other languages only, it won't translate for you.
Main Features of Text Scanner
- Recognize text from photos or camera
- Export Chinese files as Text or PDF format
- Recognize 50+ languages, including Chinese
- Recognized text can be save to clipboard
How to do Chinese OCR on Android Phone?
- Download and install Text Fairy on your Android phone.
- Choose the Chinese file photo or capture from your camera to import for Chinese OCR.
- Then Click “Continue” to run OCR Chinese.
- Once ready, save the Chinese texts to clipboard or export Chinese files as PDF.
As per my personal experience, online free solutions are basically falling short of our expectations to get accurate Chinese OCR, for difficulty in performing Chinese OCR itself, also for the reason of online limited features. Consequently, for mac users, you can try Cisdem PDF Converter OCR, and for Windows users, Tipard is the best option, both guarantee a fast and accurate Chinese OCR for users.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.