Is it possible to retrieve photos from iPhone that won't turn on? My iPhone 6 plus went dead yesterday, and it wouldn’t turn on. I plugged in my device and let it charge for up to one hour, but it didn’t work. I have many precious photos and files on my iPhone and what should I do to recover data from a dead iPhone?
When your iPhone won't turn on, you may be afraid of losing precious data and are looking for a good solution to recover data from dead iPhone. If you want to get data off a dead iPhone, a third-party iPhone data recovery software is needed. But you should make sure your iPhone can be detected by your Mac, if not, any iPhone data recovery is useless.
The Best iPhone Data Recovery Software
How to Recover Data from Dead iPhone
It recovers accidentally deleted or lost data from your dead iPhone or iPad
It also recovers photos, contacts, text messages, notes, voice memos, safari bookmarks, reminders, call logs, etc
It supports iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, iPad mini, etc
And you can follow below guides to recover data from dead iPhone.
iPhone died and won’t turn on? Fixed!
If your iPhone suddenly stops working and leaves you a black screen, don’t be panic. There are some tips you can follow to do before calling it officially dead. Just be patient and try below steps to rescue your iPhone from dead.
- Recharge your iPhone. This is the first thing you should try to do, many times, your iPhone is dead just because it only lacks the energy to open. Try and recharge your device and if it's still not working, proceed to the next step 2.
- Restart your iPhone. If you let your iPhone charge for up to one hour, but it still doesn’t work, you should try to restart it. Press and hold the Sleep button and the Home button until a red slider will appear. If the red slider appears, just keep pressing the two buttons until the Apple logo appears; if the iPhone gets stuck on the Apple logo, proceed to the step 3. If the red slider doesn’t appear, please proceed to step 4.
- Connect your iPhone to iTunes. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes. If connected, force your iPhone to restart by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake and the Home at the same time untile you see the Apple logo. Keeping holding until see the recovery mode screen. And then follow instructions to force device into recovery mode. If your iPhone can’t be recognized by iTunes, proceed to step 4.
- Contact Apple Support. If all above ways don’t work, the last thing you can do is to contact Apple Support or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help. Hope they can help you rescue your iPhone. If they pronounce it officially dead, follow below guides to recover data from the dead iPhone.
Recover data from dead iPhone for free: If you have another iOS device
If you always perform iTunes or iCloud backups before your iPhone gets dead, you can restore the dead iPhone data from a previous iTunes or iCloud backup. The things you need are an iOS device that works normally and an iTunes or iCloud backup. And you should keep in mind that the below two ways will delete all existing files from the iOS device. Follow below guides to recover data from dead iPhone for free:
Recover data from dead iPhone via iTunes
- Open iTunes on the computer that you used to back up your dead iPhone. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. Then connect the iOS device to the computer.
- After the iTunes detects your device, select your device and go to “File menu > Devices > Restore from Backup. Look at the date and size of each backup and choose the most relevant backup of your dead iPhone.
- Click “Restore” button and start the process to restore dead iPhone data from that backup. After the process finishes, all data of the dead iPhone will be restored on the iOS device.
Recover data from dead iPhone via iCloud
- First, if your iOS device is not new or not erased, you have to erase the iOS device. On your iOS device, please go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase all Content and Settings”, confirm it when a window pops up. This will delete all custom data on your device.
- Follow the onscreen insturctions until you reach the Apps & Data screen, and then choose “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
- Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID. Then choose the most relevant backup of your dead iPhone to restore and the recovery process starts.
- Stay connected until the process ends. And the time it takes depends on the size of the backup and the network speed. So just wait patiently. After all done, you can enjoy the dead iPhone data on your iOS device.
Recover data from dead iPhone: If you don’t have another iOS device
If you don’t have another iOS device, you can get all data off your dead iPhone to Mac by using a powerful iPhone data recovery like iPhone Recovery. It helps you recover your both lost or deleted and undeleted iOS data including photos, videos, contacts, messages, safari bookmarks, notes, calendar, etc , no matter whether you have iTunes backups or not.
Keep iPhone Recovery in hand, you can recover data from dead iPhone selectively and you don’t have to erase all contents on your another iOS device. Follow below steps to see how it works.
- Download and Install iPhone Recovery on Mac.
- Open this iPhone data recovery on Mac and it will show two recovery modes for you. Try to connect your dead iPhone to Mac to see if it can be detected by this iPhone recovery app. If can, choose “Recover from iOS Device”. If not, choose “Recover from iTunes Backup File”.
- Then Cisdem iPhone Recovery will scan all files from your device or the iTunes backup. After scanning, this app shows all found files in 10 categories like Videos, Photos, Messages, etc.
- You can click each category and all items will be listed by this powerful app. Click each item to see the details showed on the interface.
- Select the items you want to recover or the whole category and click “Recover” button to save them on your Mac. Then all files from your dead iPhone are now on your Mac. Enjoy them!
Generally, a third-party iOS data recovery can help you recover deleted or lost data from iOS device, but in some cases, it just can’t. If you always backup your iOS device to iTunes or iCloud, you’ll never lose your precious data. Try Cisdem iPhone Recovery below to retrieve photos from iPhone that won't turn on!
Megan is the chief editor of Cisdem, she has an impressive deal of experience with Mac software and has the ability to explain tech stuff in a simplified, straightforward and easy to understand way.