YouTube is one of the most popular websites, and Google Chrome is one of the most widely used web browsers. This article will show in detail how to block YouTube on Chrome without extension or with one on Mac, Windows, Android, Chromebook and iPhone.
YouTube videos can be entertaining but distracting. Some YouTube videos are age inappropriate. Blocking access to YouTube website helps you reduce distractions or keep your child away from inappropriate videos. Below is how to restrict YouTube access on Chrome browser:
To easily block YouTube on the Chrome browser on your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro or iMac etc., you can use Cisdem AppCrypt, the best website blocker and app locker for macOS.
AppCrypt main features:
1. Download this YouTube blocker for Chrome and install it.
2. When you open it for the first time, set a password.
3. From the top menu bar, click its icon and choose Open Main Window. Enter the password.
4. In the main window, choose the Web Block tab.
5. To block youtube.com on Chrome, enter youtube.com and click the Add button.
Now YouTube is blocked on Google Chrome and Safari, etc. permanently unless you unblock it. When you or someone else tries to open it on Chrome or other browsers on this Mac, the following message will appear.
The blocking is implemented whether you are in the normal browsing mode or the incognito mode.
1. Open AppCrypt’s main window, which requires the password.
2. Click Web Block.
3. Select YouTube by clicking it.
4. Right-click it and select Remove.
Also, you are allowed to temporarily disable or enable the blocking of YouTube (and other unwanted sites) by clicking Disable WebBlocker (which requires the password) or Enable WebBlocker.
Tip 1. Block YouTube on Google Chrome for some time (rather than permanently)
If you want to restrict YouTube access only during certain hours, this YouTube blocker’s Schedule feature can help. Under the Web Block tab, select YouTube and click the clock icon next to it. Enable Custom Schedule and click Add Schedule to create a recurring schedule by specifying the specific times of the day and days of the week. It’s possible to create multiple schedules.
This way, you can easily block YouTube only during school hours, or allow YouTube access only during some weekend hours. It’s very flexible and customizable.
Note: An app called Focus blocks YouTube and other distractions during your planned focus time, offering Pomodoro, scheduling and other methods to plan your focus time. Get the app to stay focused.
Tip 2. Block YouTube channel on Google Chrome
If you only want to make certain channels inaccessible, then Click Web Block on the main window and enter the URLs of the unwanted channels to the Block list.
Tip 3. Use the Allow list mode to block everything online except the allowed content
AppCrypt offers 2 blocking modes: Block list (default) and Allow list. If you enable Allow list and add a site to the Allow list, then Chrome will block all except the added site. This way, you can completely keep away YouTube and undesirable videos (such as distracting, mature, explicit or violent videos).
Get AppCrypt to effortlessly block or limit access to sites and apps!
If you spend most of your computer time browsing YouTube aimlessly, or if you are often distracted by YouTube while working at your computer, you will benefit from making YouTube inaccessible on Google Chrome and all other browsers on your computer. We need to use computer’s host file in this method.
1. Open the start menu of Windows and right click Notepad. Hit Run as Administrator.
2. Click File and open it.
3. Browse to This PC > Windows > System32 > drivers > etc > hosts.
4. Type in “127.0.0.1 youtube.com” and “127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com” at the very bottom.
5. Save the file. You’ll not be able to access YouTube website on your browser next time. You can use the same method to block other unwanted websites on your computer.
The method above is technical. If you think you are not good at computer, you can try this easier way using a blocker app called URL Blocker.
1. Download URL Blocker on your computer running Windows 10 or earlier.
2. Open the downloaded app directly. It requires no installation.
3. To stop watching YouTube on your PC, enter youtube.com and click Add, and then enter www.youtube.com and click Add.
4. Click Apply in the upper right corner then click OK.
Above is how to block YouTube on Chrome desktop without extension. Now let’s talk about Android devices.
You can watch YouTube videos on Android on the mobile version of youtube.com or on the YouTube app. If you spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos on Chrome for Android and want to stop your YouTube addiction, just block the site.
1. On your Android phone or tablet, open Play Store.
2. Install an app called AppBlock - Stay Focused.
3. Tap the plus icon.
4. Now create a blocking profile for YouTube. Tap Select and then Time. To block YouTube site permanently, set the blocking to be applied for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Tap Save.
5. Tap Select under the Blocked apps & websites section and add youtube.com. Tap Save.
6. Toggle the Websites option to on.
7. Enter a name for this profile, say, Block YouTube. Tap Create.
Now YouTube is not available on Google Chrome and any other browser on your device.
How do you restrict YouTube access on Chrome on your Chromebook? The easiest answer is to use a YouTube blocker extension. But what if you are not a fan of extensions? Here’s a useful workaround.
1. On your Chrome OS device, go to Settings.
2. On the left, click Apps.
3. Click the Turn on button next to Google Play Store.
4. Click Accept on the Google Play apps and services screen.
5. On the Chromebook shelf, click the Google Play icon to launch it.
6. Now you can access and install Android apps on your Chromebook. Look for a site blocker app compatible with Chrome OS.
7. Install the app and set it to block YouTube access.
If you are an iPhone or iPad user and need to stop your YouTube addiction, you can try making YouTube inaccessible on Chrome browser. It’s easy to do, and you don’t even need to look for a YouTube blocker. The solution is built in to iOS and iPadOS.
1. On your iPhone running iOS 12, iOS 13, iOS 14 or iOS 15, go to Settings.
2. Tap Screen Time and then Turn On Screen Time.
3. Tap This is My iPhone if it’s yours. If not, tap the other option.
4. Tap Use Screen Time Passcode. Set a passcode. If you are restricting YouTube for yourself rather than your child, you can ask a trusted person to set the passcode for you, making the blocking hard to bypass.
5. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions and then turn on the restrictions on.
6. Tap Content Restrictions and then Web Content.
7. By default, this iPhone allows unrestricted access to web content on Google Chrome and other browsers. Now, select Limit Adult Websites.
8. Tap Add Website under Never Allow, type the URL of YouTube site and tap done.
With this method, in addition to YouTube, Chrome for iPhone or iPad will also automatically disable access to websites that Apple considers inappropriate.
When it comes to blocking a website on Google Chrome browser, the first thing that comes to many people’s minds is using Chrome extensions. There are YouTube blocker extensions available, which are handy to install and use.
However, there is a disadvantage. One can easily get around blocked YouTube by removing the installed extension from Chrome browser.
I use an extension called Block Site to show you how such extensions work. This one is very easy to use and understand.
1. On your Windows, Chromebook or Mac computer, go to the Chrome Web Store.
2. Install Block Site offered by Jorvi.
3. Open YouTube on your Chrome desktop. Right-click and then choose Block this domain.
If you try to visit youtube.com on Chrome, you will see the “youtube.com is blocked” message.
To unblock youtube.com, right-click the extension’s icon in Chrome’s toolbar, choose Options, and click the Delete icon next to YouTube.
By default, the blocking will only apply to the standard browsing mode. You are also allowed to enable the blocking in the incognito mode.
YouTube has been age-restricted certain content for years in order to make YouTube a safe place for kids, teens and young adults. Despite YouTube’s efforts, there are still mature, violent, explicit and other inappropriate videos. That’s why many parents want to completely block access to YouTube site on browsers like Google Chrome and to the YouTube app.
YouTube is on the list of the biggest workplace distractions. No wonder companies want to disable YouTube access on work computers for the sake of productivity.
Many schools in the USA and the UK have already blocked YouTube on school-issued devices or their network, which makes this video-sharing site not available.
This article talks about how to block YouTube on Chrome desktop and mobile. I hope it’s helpful. YouTube doesn’t have a desktop app. The only way to access YouTube videos on computer is to use the website. Therefore, computer users only need to make youtube.com not accessible. Mobile users may also need to limit access to the YouTube app.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.