Reddit is the seventh most popular websites in the US, according to Alexa. It’s a great place to have fun and learn new things. One thing is that Reddit can be so addictive that many people spend hours on it per day. To stop the addiction, you can block Reddit entirely. Or, if you are happy with Reddit as a whole but not with certain users on it, you can block Reddit users to get rid of the annoyance.
If you are a Mac or Windows user, you can easily and effectively do the blocking with Cisdem AppCrypt, the best website blocker and app locker.
AppCrypt main feature:
1. Download AppCrypt and install the app.
2. Set first time you open it, set a password. Click Submit after you read the warning.
3. On Mac, click its icon in the menu bar and choose Open Main Window. On PC, click its icon in the taskbar.
4. Enter the password and click OK.
5. You are in the main window now. Click Web Block.
6. Add the Reddit domain URL reddit.com. (Also, you can import a category of websites to block.)
Now Reddit is blocked on Safari and Google Chrome with password. When you or someone else tries to open it, it won’t open. And instead, the following image will show up.
To unblock Reddit, go to the main window (which requires entering the password), select Reddit, control-click and choose Remove.
As you can see, the blocking is hard to bypass due to the password. To block yourself from Reddit, you can ask someone you trust to set the password for you.
If you want to limit the time spent on Reddit rather than permanently block it, the schedule feature can help.
See how to block a subreddit with the app if you are interested.
On a computer, the only way to use Reddit is through its website, which is available for a mobile phone as well. In addition, Reddit offers an app for iPhone and Android. You can block Reddit on iPhone by limiting access to the website and app.
1. On your iPhone running iOS 12 or later, go to Settings.
2. Tap Screen Time. Tap Turn On Screen Time.
3. Tap Use Screen Time Passcode. Set a passcode and confirm it.
4. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. Enter the passcode.
5. Enable Content & Privacy Restrictions.
6. Tap Content Restrictions > Web Content.
7. Switch from the default Unrestricted Access to Limit Adult Websites.
Reddit definitely doesn’t fall into this category of websites, but one has to use this limit when using Screen Time to block a specific unwanted website.
8. Tap Add Website under the Never Allow section.
9. Enter https://www.reddit.com/ and tap Done.
This is how to block Reddit on Safari on iPhone. When you try to visit it, Safari returns the message “You cannot browse this page at reddit.com because it is restricted”.
Here’s how to unblock Reddit. Under Never Allow (as shown in Step 8), swipe to the left on the website, and you will see a Delete option. Tap Delete.
If your iPhone is running iOS 11 or earlier, you can set up the blocking by going to Settings > General > Restrictions.
To block the app on iPhone, you can use Screen Time’s App Limits feature to set the minimum time limit of 1 minute on Reddit app.
Android doesn’t offer such a built-in method for blocking. Luckily, third-party methods are available.
If you or your child tend to spend half of waking hours on Reddit on an Android device and you want to stop it, try BlockSite.
1. Install BlockSite on your phone. Open it.
2. Enable BlockSite in the Accessibility settings.
3. Navigate to the lower right part of the screen and tap the green plus icon.
4. Now you can start blocking.
Now Reddit becomes inaccessible on Android.
If your Wi-Fi router has parental controls, you can use it to block unwanted websites such as Reddit.
The parental control options available and the setup vary depending on which router you use. But the differences aren’t big.
1. Access your router’s settings. There are two common ways.
Type the IP address of your router in your web browser’s address bar. Log in with your username and password.
If your router comes with an app, you can easily access the settings there.
2. In the settings, find Parental Controls, Access Control or a similar function. It should allow you to block specific websites.
3. Enter https://www.reddit.com/ and apply the blocking.
You can permanently block Reddit or just set a daily time limit on it.
Reddit users submit great content to the website. And those great posts and subreddits are why you are on Reddit. However, some users there can be so annoying that you want to block them. Can you block them? Yes. But the block option is a bit hidden. This part will show you how to find and use it.
1. Go to the profile page of the Reddit user. Click the Chat button. You don’t have to send a message. Only click the said button.
Skip this step is the person has exchanged messages with you or sent you a chat request.
2. In the Chat window, select the user you’d like to block. Click the gear icon.
3. Click the Block option.
4. Read the message showing up and click the Block button.
Now the block is applied.
What happens if you block a user on Reddit? You won’t be able to see his or her comments, posts and messages anymore. The notifications from the very user will also be blocked. Note that the blocked user is still able to see your posts and comments on Reddit.
If you think the message thing is awkward, here’s a method for you.
1. Go to https://www.reddit.com/settings.
2. Choose Safety & Privacy.
3. Navigate to the People You’ve Blocked section.
4. Enter the username (in the format “name” rather than “u/name”) of the user under Block New User and click Add next to it.
If the format of the username is wrong, you won’t be able to add it to the blocked list.
How to unblock Reddit users? Go to User Settings > Safety & Privacy > People You’ve Blocked and click the Remove option next to the user’s name.
If you can’t help but browse Reddit at work or during your study or spend far more time on it than you should, just block Reddit permanently or set a time limit on it. If someone on Reddit tries to upset or irritate you, just block this Reddit user. This article covers both situations, and I hope it can be helpful.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.