Opera is a browser become popular since its privacy, fast speed and good user experience. Opera GX is a special version of Opera with gaming twist and some unique features. Both of them are beloved by many users. Recently, network security has always been a concern of every family. Since that, there are many users want to know how to block a website on Opera/Opera GX. This browser doesn’t have built-in function to block a specific website. If you want to do that, below I will introduce you several other ways to block a websites on Opera for Mac and PC. Keep your family’s online safety.
Using the web filter is the most efficient way to block a website on opera. How to choose a good web filter to block a website on browser depends on the devices. For Mac users, Cisdem AppCrypt is what I recommend. It is a professional tool to ensure online security and help users to control Internet behavior. Below are steps.
1. Download and install AppCrypt.
2. Set a password at the first time you launch this program.
3. Click the icon on the desktop. Click Open Main Window. Enter the password to open it.
4. Click Web Block on the main window. Type in the URL that you want to block then click Add.
5. Next time you or others want to access the blocked websites, a window will pop up show you that the page has been blocked.
Block websites on Opera by categories
AppCrypt supports to block websites by categories. On the Web Block window, click Import on the upper-right corner. Choose a present list such as Porn Sites to preventing your child from effecting by inappropriate content on Internet. Then AppCrypt will block all the porn sites on Opera.
Set Whitelist on Opera
AppCrypt provides 2 modes: Blacklist and Whitelist. You can select Allow List at the bottom. Type in the URL of the website that you only allow to access. Click Add. Then all the websites cannot be accessed except those in the whitelist. If your kids always play computers at study time, you can use this function to manage their Internet activities.
Set Schedule on a website on Opera
If you want, you can set a schedule to a specific website, or set a general schedule to all the websites and apps. For example, if you found yourself spend too much time on Facebook everyday, you can set a schedule on Facebook website. Find Facebook from the block list. Click the clock icon at left. Click Add Schedule from the bottom-right corner. Set the schedule then enable the Custom Schedule option from the bottom-left corner.
There are also some web filters for Windows computer. FocalFilter is a reliable tool that I recommend to help you block unwanted websites on PC. It supports you to block a website on Opera GX and set how long the website should block for. Below are steps:
1. Download and install FocalFilter.
2. Run this program and add the website you want to block to the site list. Click Save.
3. Then you can set the time you want to block for. For example, you can block the social media websites that will distract you for 30 minutes to ensure your work efficiency before you are going to working.
4. Above are how to block websites on Opera GX. Before the time you set to block for runs out, you can’t access the blocked websites. Also you cannot uninstall this program.
If you don’t want to install apps, there is another way to block websites on Opera-adding extension. But what I have to say is that the extensions are easy to remove. So if you want to block a website on Opera to control your child’s online behavior using extension, this is not the safest way. Below I’ll show you an extension that can be added to Opera/Opera GX-Block Site.
1. Open Opera browser on your computer. Click the cube icon from the left side bar.
2. Click Get more extensions.
3. Search for Block Site from the new window. Choose the one with 3 “W” in the icon from the results.
4. Hit Add to Opera then Installing.
5. Enter the website that you want to block on the Opera browser. Now we navigate to the YouTube website.
6. Click the cube icon from the upper-right corner. Then hit on Block Site.
7. A prompt window will pop up. Click OK.
8. Now YouTube website is blocked on Opera. Next time whoever try to access this website, can only see this blocked window.
9. To remove this extension, you can click the cube icon on the upper-right corner of the window. Then click the 3-dot icon besides the Block Site. Select Remove extension.
1. Open Opera browser on your computer.
2. Click Settings on the left side bar menu.
3. Click on Security and Privacy > Site Settings > Content.
4. Select the third one-Images.
5. You can see the option from the new window: Not allowed to show images. Click Add besides it.
6. Type in YouTube’s URL then click Add.
7. Now go to YouTube on the Opera, you will find all pictures are not showing.
Our kids are always affected by inappropriate websites on computer such as porn sites, gambling sites. We are also easy to distract by some interesting websites such as social media sites when working. It’s necessary to find a way to block websites on computer. To block a website on Opera/Opera GX, I think the best way is to install 3rd-party apps such as AppCrypt. If you choose to add extensions, it will be easy to remove. And Opera’s built-in settings can’t block a website totally.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.