Both Google Contacts and Outlook allow you to save contacts. If you are a user of both and want to access your Google account contacts in Outlook, you can import Google contacts to Outlook. This article provides detailed instructions on the import.
If you want to transfer contacts from Google to Outlook.com the email provider instead of Outlook the email client, you will also find the instructions here.
Applies to: Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2019, Microsoft 365 admin, etc.
Google Contacts (https://contacts.google.com/) is where you can access and manage your Google account contacts. Use this contact management tool to download your Google contacts and then import them to your Outlook.
1. Open a web browser on your computer. Sign in to Google with your Gmail account.
2. Go to https://contacts.google.com/.
3. On the left, click Export.
4. Choose to export all Google contacts or a group of contacts.
5. Select Outlook CSV as the export format. Click Export. The contacts will be downloaded as a CSV file called contacts.csv by default.
6. In your Outlook, choose File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
7. Choose Import from another program or file. Click Next.
8. Choose Comma Separated Values. Click Next.
9. Click Browse, select the CSV file containing Google contacts. Click OK. Click Next.
10. In the Select destination folder box, select Contacts and click Next.
11. Click Finish.
Once it finishes, your Google contacts should be imported to Outlook. To view them, go to the bottom left part of Outlook and choose People module.
Translation Error When you import the Google contacts in the CSV to Outlook, if the Translation Error occurs in Step 10, please carefully read the error message. The message lists a few possible causes, and you can perform a fix accordingly.
Other error If the CSV file contains more than 2000 Google contacts, you will also see an error message when you try to import the file to Outlook. In such a case, you can split the CSV file into smaller files first and import them one by one.
Gmail contacts not showing in Outlook Once the import is done, if your Gmail/Google account contacts don’t show up in Outlook, don’t panic. Use Excel to open the CSV file exported in Step 5 and see if it’s empty. If there isn’t any information, do the export again in Google Contacts, making sure that you export all or the right group of contacts. Import the newly exported CSV.
Applies to: Outlook for Mac 2016
Microsoft Outlook is also available for macOS. The features and options are a bit limited when compared to the Windows version. For example, Outlook for Mac can’t import a CSV file. As a result, the steps above won’t work. Luckily, there’s an easy solution.
1. Repeat the first four steps for Outlook for Windows.
2. Choose vCard (for iOS Contacts) as the export format.
3. Click Export. And your Google contacts will be downloaded as a vCard file called contacts.vcf by default.
4. Control-click the vCard file. Choose Open With > Microsoft Outlook.
5. A new message window will automatically appear. And the vCard will show up there as an attachment.
6. Click the dropdown icon and choose Open.
In Outlook for Mac, go to People module, and you should find the imported Google account contacts there.
There are two methods available.
Note that this method is for Mac computers only.
If you are a Mac user, you can effortlessly import contacts from Gmail account to Outlook account using Cisdem ContactsMate for Mac, the best contact management app for Mac. Below are the main features of the app.
1. Download Cisdem ContactsMate and install it.
2. The first time you open the app, click OK to allow access.
3. Click Add Account.
4. Select Google and sign in with your Gmail account.
5. Check the box next to Contacts. Click Done.
6. Click the plus icon.
Select Exchange and repeat Step 4 and Step 5.
7. Quit ContactsMate and open it again. Now you should find Gmail and Outlook in the left sidebar.
8. Click Google in the sidebar, select all contacts with Command-A, and drag them into Exchange.
1. Sign in to Google with your Gmail account.
2. Visit https://contacts.google.com/.
3. Click Export.
4. Choose to export all or a group of your Google contacts.
5. Choose to export them as Outlook CSV. Click Export.
6. Go to https://outlook.live.com/. Sign in with your account.
7. Click the App launcher icon in the top left corner and choose People.
If you can’t find People, click All apps.
8. Click Manage in the top right corner and choose Import contacts.
9. Click Browse, select the CSV file exported in Step 5 and click Open.
10. Click Import.
Google contacts are imported to Outlook account right away.
Google Contacts allows you to export contacts as CSV or vCard, making it easy to import its contacts to other services or email clients. If you are looking for how to import Google contacts to Outlook or Mac or Windows, I hope this article will help. It covers instructions for both Outlook the client and Outlook the email service provider.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.