It is a pity that Apple Contacts doesn't support to export contacts to CSV, except for vCard. Common spreadsheets or databases can't handle vCard, therefore you are unable to get your contacts into Excel, Numbers or SQLite for further editing or process. Export Apple contacts to CSV will make contacts easier to back up or sync.
One compromised solution If you would like to have a try, you can drag-n-drop contacts from Apple Contacts to the desktop, it produces a vCard file, use the third-party converter tool to convert vCard to CSV (some online converter like vCard to CSV Converter, but they can offer the best conversion.), then you can open that file with Excel for further usage.
I think there must be more users who are confused about how to export Apple contacts to CSV. Don't worry, this article will recommend an effective application with step-by-step guidance.
I want to recommend an professional application to resolve what Apple Contacts can't do, that's Cisdem ContactsMate. It is one of the best contacts address book to manage contacts. Let me list briefly what Cisdem ContactsMate can help you as below.
1. Keep all contacts up-to-date and organized. You can create and edit contacts with much of labels and notes.( Phone, Address, Department, URL, Note, Company, Suffix, Job Title, Email, Birthday, etc. & many sub categories to get all the details of your Contacts.)
2. Make group contacts for you easily sending mail or check.
3. Scan, report, fix those duplicate contacts, errors, incomplete information, which would be reported and displayed for you to fix , and get them correct instantly.
4. What anything entered into ContactsMate will also sync in Apple Contacts. It utilizes the Mac OS X built-in contact database, this means you can still sync with iCloud and any other service OS X Contacts supports (e.g. Google Contacts).
5. Export Apple Contacts to CSV, vCard, TXT, Docx, HTML, Excel, Numbers, and Pages formats for further usage.
Cisdem ContactsMate is priced at $19.99. It offers free trial version for every Mac user to test its features. Download this contacts manager software's free version on Mac, and double-click to launch.
Once you run Cisdem ContactMate for the first time, it will ask you whether allowing it to sync with your contacts or not, you just need to click "OK", then a interconnection will be built between Cisdem ContactManager and your Address Book.
By the way, you can create more new contacts, or edit contacts to add more contacts labels an dproperties as you like,like Middle Name, Job Title, NickName, Address, etc.
1. Click the button "Export", it would lead you to an output window, see the "Export Format", choose to "Save to CSV" or "Save to Excel" from pull-down menu which includes lots of output formats, like vCard, TXT, Docx, HTML, Excel, Numbers, and Pages.
2. Create a new folder to save this CSV/Excel. Make prefix name for this file.
3. Click "Save" button, your contacts are exported to CSV or Excel right away on your Mac.
You can also export a contacts group to CSV file. As to how to make group contacts, please refer to this useful article - How to Make a Contact Group on Your Mac.
Actually, Cisdem ContactsMate is far more powerful than you can imagine. With this application, there will be no more duplicates, missing address or syncing problem in your contacts. More details, you can read the related article “How to Clean Contacts on Mac”.
CSV as a general and relatively simple file format is widely used in business and science field because that large number of programs all support CSV variant, it has been a widely-used text file formats.
CSVs look like a garden-variety spreadsheet but with a .csv extension (Traditionally they take the form of a text file containing information separated by commas, hence the name). CSV files can be used with any spreadsheet program, such as Microsoft Excel, Open Office Calc, or Google Spreadsheets.
If you're looking for a Gmail contact manager with more features and flexibility than Google’s built-in tool, check out this guide to get one and manage Gmail contacts.
Many users who recently moved from PC to Mac had problem to found a business contact manager for Mac. This article would introduce the best business contact manager software and show you how to take advantage of it to manage your contacts database well.
Many times, we are likely to repeat storing contacts of some people. Plenty of duplicate contacts caused a lot of inconvenience for contact management. So what we should to do to deal with those tiresome duplicate contacts? Merging duplicate contacts seems a good solution to this troublesome problem.
Top Utility Articles
Sign up for Cisdem newsletters, stay informed on the latest products news, the hottest deals, and our holiday special sales.