If you're a gamer, you probably know what Discord is. Discord-available for PCs, Macs and mobile devices, is a free communication platform used largely by gamers. It has the functions of video calls, voice chat, and text chat, allowing users to get in touch however they please. If your child is obsessed with discord, you should do something to limit him. Here I’ll introduce 7 methods to block Discord on computer.
Cisdem AppCrypt for Mac
To block Discord on Mac Computer in an easy way, I recommend AppCrypt.
AppCrypt is a reliable tool for Mac users to lock applications and block websites. Both the Discord website and the Discord app can be blocked by AppCrypt. Everytime your kid tries to access Discord with an incorrect password, AppCrypt will immediately capture a photo. AppCrypt also has the feature of limiting the usage time. You can even set a whitelist, only allow access to those websites that are useful to your child. Easily control your kid's online behavior. Steps on how to block Discord on Macbook:
1. Free download AppCrypt and install it.
2. Set a password as required. click Submit.
3. Click web Block tab then add the URL: https://discord.com/ to Block list.
4. Now Discord website is blocked. A box will pop up and show you that the page you’re attempting to access has been blocked by AppCrypt.
5. Click Add App button in the upper left corner of the main window then select Discord from the list. Click Open.
6. Now Discord app is also encrypted with the password. If someone tries to open the encrypted Discord and enters a wrong password, the AppCrypt will capture a photo.
You can create a new account with parental controls for your kids. Parental controls are built-in features of computer that help parents to monitor and restrict what their kid does online. You can use it to restrict the time that your kids spend on Discord during the time that you grant them, or block access to Discord directly.
1. Click the Apple logo at the upper left corner of the screen. Click System Preference from the drop down menu.
2. Click Parental Controls icon at the window that pops up.
3. Click the padlock icon at the bottom left corner of the window. Enter the password to unlock.
4. Click the plus sign to create a new account for your kids. Select the age of user, set a name and a password etc. Click Create User button.
5. Select the account you just created. Select Web from the taskbar at the top of the Parental Controls window.
6. Select Try to limit access to adult websites option, then click Customize button.
7. A window will pop up. Click the plus sign under “Never allow these websites”, then enter the URL: https://discord.com/ .Hit OK.
8. Now just make sure your kids can only log in the account you just created. The Discord website has blocked by Parental Controls.
Parental Controls only works on Apple's own browser, Safari. If you need to block Discord website on Chrome, Firefox or other browsers, I still recommend you to download AppCrypt for those browsers.
BlockSite is an extension that can be added into browsers. It can be used to block individual pages or entire websites. It won't charge you within 6 blocked websites. BlockSite maybe a good choice if you only need to block Discord on your browser. Here I’ll show you how to block Discord on Chrome.
1. Open Chrome, click the three-dot icon at the upper right corner. Select More Tools from the drop down menu, then click Extensions.
2. Open Chrome Web Store and search BlockSite from the store. Choose the first link from the list and click Add to Chrome. Click Add extension when prompted. This option will appear at the top of the page.
3. Open the website of Discord, then right click anywhere to open the quick access menu. Select BlockSite from the menu, then choose Block this site.
4. Now Discord has been blocked by BlockSite. A confirmation box will appear when your kids try to open this website next time.
BlockSite has a lot of cool features such as create custom block lists, schedule sites blocking, and sync with other devices, but have to pay for it if you want to block more than six sites. Another disadvantage is that the extension can be removed. So if your kids already know the extension, maybe you should try other methods.
If you want to block Discord only on Google Chrome, there is a more efficient way.
1. Go ahead to Discord’s web page. Click on the lock next to the web address. After click on that, click on Site settings.
3. Now go back to Discord and log in, a blank page will pop up. As long as you don’t show this method to your kids, they won’t know how to unblock it because they will just see a blank page without any prompts.
The Windows Firewall is a built-in security application that comes with the Windows operating system. Windows Defender Firewall monitors network traffic flowing into or out of the computer. If you’re a Windows user，you can limit your kid’s access to Discord by following the instructions below:
1. Click the search bar at the bottom left corner of the screen. Type in Control Panel.
2. Click the Control Panel, find Windows Defender Firewall and click over there.
3. Select Advanced Settings, then a window will pop up. Right click Outbound Rules on the left side and click New Rule.
4. Click Custom at the pop-up window, then hit Next > All programs > Next.
5. Then you’ll find the sentence at the next window: Which remote IP address does this rule apply to? Select These IP address under it. Then click Add next to the box.
6. Go to the search bar once again and type in cmd. Right click Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator. Click Yes at the pop-up window.
7. Type in "nslookup www.discord.com" at this window then press Enter. You’ll get 2 IP addresses. Copy them.
8. Now go back to the window in step 5, paste these 2 IP addresses over the box separately and click OK.
9. Click Next. Make sure that the option of Block the connection is selected.
10. Click Next. Check these three options: Domain, Private, Public. Click Next again.
11. A new window will appear again. Set a name you like such as Discord block. Then click Finish.
12. Now open your browser and try to enter www.discord.com, it’ll not work. A box will pop up and show you that your Internet access is blocked.
If you want to remove this Discord block rule from your computer, just go to your firewall again. Select Outbound Rules and delete the rule from the list.
Microsoft Family Safety is a free set of built-in features available on Windows computers. With Microsoft Family Safety, you can set time limits on specific apps, block mature content, block inappropriate websites for your kids and so on. If your kid always distracted by Discord, Microsoft Family Safety can be used to block Discord app and websites on your windows computer.
1. Tap the Windows icon, then select Settings.
2. Select Account at the pop-up window.
3. Select Family & other users from the left-hand menu.
4. Click Add a family member. Then create a separate account for your kid.
5. Microsoft will then prompt you to sign into your account. Now you can close this window.
6. Click Manage family settings online to open Microsoft online page.
7. Sign in your own Microsoft account. Now you can see and control all accounts connected to your family.
8. Click Activity under the account name of your kid, then select App and game limits. Turn on the App and game limits toggle switch.
9. Select Discord app from the list and turn on the toggle switch on the right side.
10. Now you can use the slider to set the amount of time your kid can use.
11. To block Discord website, you can click Content restrictions under the account name of your kid. Under the Always blocked section, click the plus button and add www.discord.com to the box.
Router-also called Gateway, is a hardware device that connects two or more networks, and it is the main node device of the Internet. Most routers have built-in firewall，which is a network security system. It has the feature of web filtering. Not only can monitor network traffic, but also block unauthorized network traffic. You can log in your router and add the URL of Discord to blacklist. Then the Discord will not accessible. The steps are as follows:
1. The first step is to open the router's configuration page in a browser that's connected to your network. And log in your router.
2. Select Internet, then select Parental Control.
3. Find the URL Filter. Click New URL filter at the bottom, then enter the URL www.discord.com to the box. Hit Save or Apply button.
4. Now try visiting www.discord.com, it’ll not work. A box will pop up and show you that this site can’t be reached.
This method does not always work because most routers can’t block access to encrypted websites. If you can still access the Discord website after saving your settings, you can try the other methods I mentioned above.
Above all are methods about how to block Discord on computer. Hope these are helpful to you. But if your kids are addicted to Discord too much, behavioral control is not enough. We should pay more attention to the kids’ mental health rather than blaming them harshly. We can encourage them to do some helpful activities such as sports, travel and reading.
If you face any issues, welcome to do comment below!
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.