Summary: Looking for the best burning software for Mac? Check out the top 5 best DVD burning software for Mac 2022 to successfully and quickly burn videos to disc.
When large media files occupy much storage on a MacBook/MacBook Pro/iMac Pro, etc., you may need to create a DVD for backing up data. However, there is a stack of DVD burning apps for Mac on SourceForge or other download sites, making you feel confused and not sure which one is best. Well, this post discusses the 5 best free DVD burning software for Mac offerings of 2022 with the pros and cons of each. It will also give you the step by step guide of using each tool so that you can pick the right one easily.
This article is fully updated and valid for macOS 12 Monterey.
Best DVD Burning Software for Mac 2022
- Few clicks to create instant DVDs
- Support any SD & HD video formats like MP4, MKV, AVCHD, etc.
- Can be used as an iSO DVD Burner.
- Provide free templates in various styles and themes
- Build a professional-quality DVD menu
- Import backgrounds (image & music) to menus
- Alter the aspect ratio
- Edit videos with the crop, rotate, add subtitle, apply effects, etc. tools
- Preview videos in real-time before DVD burning
- Compatible with macOS 10.12 or higher, including macOS 12.0 Monterey
The Best CD/DVD Burner Software for Mac 2022
In my tests, Cisdem DVD Burner was rated as the best DVD burning software for Mac 2022. It covers all features for you to burn a DVD on Mac.
It's specialized in burning video from over 150 formats to playable DVDs.
This best Mac burning software has more advanced functions than the free one to meet the demands of users. It allows you to add audio tracks, watermarks, and subtitles to your DVD video, and lets you get more special effects. You can also customize a DVD menu for better playing navigation.
Main features of Cisdem DVD Burner for Mac:
- Deal with DVD burning flexibly
- Burn videos in multiple formats to one DVD
- Create DVD 5, DVD 9, DVD folder, or ISO image
- An integrated video editor
- Add background music & subtitles
- Keep high quality
- Easily burn DVD on Mac Monterey or before
Download the best burning software for Mac and install it, I will show you how to use it.
Step 1. Add videos into the program
Insert a blank DVD into your Mac slot.
Click "Add videos" in the middle to browse video files. Or drag-n-drop media files from the local folder to the software.
Step 2. Edit videos
Click under the video thumbnail to call up an editing window. There are some built-in editing options, like crop, effects, watermark, rotate, subtitle, chapter, etc. You can edit videos to make them more personalized.
Step 3. Make a DVD menu
Click the "Menu" tab to go to the DVD template interface, and then you can make a DVD menu by adding free templates, background, music, and text, etc.
Step 4. Burn videos to DVD
Click to preview your adjustment.
Then click to switch to the output setting window. Simply specify the output parameters, click "Burn" to start fast burning.
After analyzing the pros and cons of the most popular DVD Burning software offerings for Mac, we conclude that Cisdem DVD Burner for Mac outperforms the others for making DVD on Mac. it is the best DVD Burning software with its ease of use and high output quality. it provides essential features like burning playable DVD, keeping video quality, support most of the video formats, and advanced features like making DVD menu, setting DVD chapters, burn multiple DVD, edit videos before burning, adding subtitles, loop dvd, etc. So it is recommended for both casual and professional users.
Alternatives to the Best DVD Burner for Mac in 2022
#1. Burn - Totally Free CD/DVD Burner
Burn is an open-source, free DVD Burner for Mac. It has an incredibly user-friendly interface and gained a wide reputation for doing basic burning tasks. You can even use Burn to copy DVD files (.dmg, iso, cue/bin, etc.). It supports authoring simple interactive DVD menu like commercial DVD movies and supports macOS Catalina or higher including macOS Monterey. Below we will show you steps to burn video to DVD.
1. Launch Burn on MacBook and click the video tab, then name your DVD and choose “DVD” from the pop-up menu.
2. Click “+” to add your video files or directly drag files right into the burn file list. Most video files are supported, if the video format is not compatible, Burn will ask you to convert it to the right format. So some videos will require conversion in order to burn DVD perfectly.
3. Insert a blank DVD and click the Burn button to start to burn your video files. And your MacBook will display a dialog indicating the DVD is burning. When this process is finished, you will gain a perfect DVD.
- Only need several steps to burn CD/DVD on Mac
- Different tabs for different burns
- Don’t offer much assistance or documentation
- Lacks custom options
- Don’t support customize DVD menu.
- Sometimes the burned DVD don’t have audio.
Burn is not the most powerful DVD Burning Software, but it is the most handy when one need to burn CD. It is totally free and tailored only for Mac users. We recommend you to use this nice little tool when you need to burn a music CD or burn simple DVD with out needing to customize.
#2. iDVD - Default Mac DVD Burning Software
is the default DVD burning software for Mac. Most people using iDVD to burn videos on Mac. It has a simple interface and focuses on ease of use. Meanwhile, iDVD allows you to author and burn music, movies, and photos to widescreen DVD with the help of an internal Mac DVD burner or external device.
- Run iDVD on your Mac and go to "File / One Step DVD from movie…" from the menu bar.
- Add the video that you need burn to DVD with iDVD and wait for its loading.
- Insert a blank writable DVD disc into your SuperDrive, and iDVD would start burning video to DVD on Mac.
- Instructions are clearly given for first-time users
- The burning process is quite easy fast and smooth
- Contain some practice features
- Support few file formats
- Problems may happen when dealing with large size video files
- Only available in the boxed copy of iLife '11 until iLife '13 now (discontinued by Apple since Mac Lion)
iDVD is another one of the best DVD burning software applications. if you are using an older Mac, this is the best option to go.
#3. Express Burn - Burn Bluray DVD On Mac
Express burn, presented by NCH software officially, is one of the best burning software for Mac and Windows. It supports a wide range of audios, videos, images and data to burn, and gives you the right to handle ISO/Joliet, Hybrid, and UDF. If you have videos longer than 5 hours, you can go with this app to burn a bluray disc. As an ideal alternative to the best Mac DVD burning software 2022, it is absolutely competent.
- Launch Express Burn, a window will pop up automatically. Select a type of disc to burn.
- Click the “Add File (s)” or “Add Folder” option on the “Video” tab to add videos to include.
- Place a blank disc, and then burn DVD by clicking the “Burn Video DVD” button.
- Record CD or DVD, burn Blu-Ray DVD
- Create images from the CD or system data
- Offer template menu buttons and screens
- The compressed files may get low clarity and quality
- Unable to copy-protected DVDs
- Lack of advanced options, like video editing
Express Burn for Mac from NCH is another specialized software tool that support burning DVD on Mac, it is worth a try as it can help one burn Blu-Ray DVDs, so if your video is large, you can try with this software.
#4. DVDStyler - Free DVD Burner for Mac/Windows/Linux
DVDStyler is also one of the most popular DVD making software on the market, is is available on Mac, Windows and linux. it is totally free to use and offer users with simple menu template, which is adequate for most of the users.
1. When you open it, DVDStyler will ask you to create a new project, and there are many setting options on this window, you can label the disk, choose the type of DVD size, video bitrate, audio bitrate, and post command (by choosing this you can set either at the last menu or the root menu).
2. immediately you going to get this template window asking you to pick up a template you would like to use. you can customize the menus but be noted that the settings are a bit buggy, some times the settings will disappear and you have to relaunch the application.
3. Click burn and select speed, them click “Start” to burn DVD on Mac.
1. Totally free to use.
2. Available on Mac, Windows, Linux.
3. Provide free DVD menu template and it is customizable.
1. Not easy to use.
2. Crash a lot.
3. Some times the burned DVD will lost sound.
Users with multiple operating systems may like the ability to burn DVD on multiple platform. This free DVD burning software was developed to be used by experts and less intuitive than other options. It’s complex configuration is not suitable for beyond the skill set of a average user. and its a bit buggy as it will quits accidentally any time you make changes to the setting.
How to Pick the Best DVD Burning Software for Mac
Selecting the best DVD Burning software can be a challenge since there are so many available options on the market. To help you find the most suitable DVD burner, here we list some of the most selection criteria for you to focus on.
1. Burn a Playable DVD
This seems to be natural. but some of the DVD makers burn videos actually to a data DVD, which only playable on computer not DVD players. like what most articles introduced burn DVD on Mac with finder, but finder can only burn DVD as data disk.
2. Keep Original Video Quality
This is very important, especially if your movie quality is not high, as most of the Mac DVD burners will decrease the video quality a lot.
3. Video Format Support
Many users tipically have video in MP4 or Mov format, and MP4 is what most DVD burners support, but if you have videos in other formats like MKV, AVCHD, MTS, WMV, FLV, etc. be sure to find a DVD Burner that support these format. If you also want to make a audio CD, the application needs to support audio formats you have.
4. DVD Menu and Chapter Support
If you need to burn video with menu you need DVD Burner that provides menu option. this can help you navigate your DVDs more easily.
5. Fast DVD Burning Speed
Since DVD Burning is a time-sensitive task, it makes sense to use a fast DVD burning software.
6. macOS Version Supported
If you are using the recent version of macOS, or you are using an older version, you need the software to support your macOS Version.
7. Support Adding Subtitles
Some users many need extra features like adding subtitles.
Tips on Burning DVD on Mac
- Buy a safe and good-quality DVD disc. Don’t purchase the bare, no-name blank media. In my experience, the more expensive the media, the better its quality; DVD media is always more reliable than CD media.
- Keep verifying your disc. It detects your burning problem in time. If you haven’t verified your disc, the best burning software for Mac will fail to burn DVD.
- Don’t set too fast burning speed. It will lead to poor output quality and create the groundwork for the mistake. Note: Cisdem DVD Burner presets the best burning speed for you. You don't need to set it manually.
- Close irrelevant procedures during the burning process. Irrelevant programs will reduce the power of the best burning software for Mac, which badly affects the burning speed and quality.
- Get an optical drive. Make sure your Mac has installed a built-in DVD drive or an external drive. (Apple has abandoned SuperDrive in 2012, but you can still purchase an external Apple SuperDrive on Amazon or eBay.)
Extended: What’s the Best CD Burning Software for Mac
When it comes to the best Mac burning software, you might also think of the best CD burning software for Mac, which is used to create CDs from iTunes or any audio file. Burn, iDVD, and Express Burn are all decent CD burner for Mac. Now set as Express Burn as an example. Let’s see how to burn a CD on a Mac.
- Insert a blank CD.
- Initiate the software.
- Head over to the “Audio” tab > “Audio CD” to add files.
- Click “Burn Audio CD”.
- Finish choices on how the burning process to take place, and click “OK”.
Among all the best burning software for Mac discussed, Cisdem DVD Burner earns the highest score from me. It’s a pretty professional tool to edit video, burn DVD, produce better quality, and the great thing is that it provides you with the most intuitive interface. This doesn’t mean the other best DVD burning software for Mac is not worth considering. Make a wise decision by yourself!