Amazon Photos is a cloud storage service to store photos and videos. Amazon users who don’t have an Amazon Prime membership can get 5 GB of free storage. Amazon Prime users can get unlimited photo storage. Both types of users can benefit from removing Amazon Photos duplicates.
Deleting duplicates in Amazon Photos can help free up storage space and enhance the photo viewing experience. In this article, you will find a method to eliminate duplicate photos and duplicate videos in Amazon Photos in bulk. Note that this method may or may not work for you. And you can read on to find out.
It’s common to have duplicates in your Amazon Photos account. They may be generated due to certain sync settings. Duplicates could also occur when you upload photos to Amazon Photos.
Will Amazon Photos upload duplicates? No and yes. Amazon Photos is available as an app for web browsers, Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and Fire devices. Let’s take the web version for example and take a close look at the question.
In https://www.amazon.com/photos, suppose image “A.jpg” is already in your Amazon Photos account. If you try to upload the same file again, it will be detected, and this upload will actually be skipped. But you won’t get a duplicate warning.
If you upload two exact duplicate photos (likely with different names) from your device to Amazon Photos, both photos will be successfully uploaded despite being duplicates.
This cloud storage service can help avoid duplicate files by preventing users from uploading the same photos that already exist. However, when you batch upload new photos (with duplicates in them) to your account, the duplicates won’t be recognized and will end up being uploaded.
When it comes to the duplicates that are already in your account, Amazon Photos doesn’t provide a feature or solution to quickly identify and eliminate them in one go. But don’t worry. The following method may help.
This method automatically finds the duplicate photos and videos in Amazon Photos and allows you effectively delete all unwanted duplicates with one click. It helped me successfully removed my Amazon Photos duplicates which were generated during upload.
Here’s how the method works. Sync your Amazon Photos to your computer with the official Amazon Photos desktop app, use duplicate photo finder software to find and delete the duplicates in the local Amazon folder, and now sync the duplicate-free photos to Amazon Photos.
The instructions will be broken into two parts.
1. Go to the Amazon Photos website. There, click the Download for Desktop button.
2. Install the app on your computer. Open it.
3. Sign in to the service. Enter OTP if asked.
4. Click the dropdown arrow icon next to your name. Select Preferences.
5. Choose Sync tab. Turn on Enable sync. Click Yes to continue.
6. Now you are in the Sync your folders interface.
Choose the folder(s) to sync. Make sure that the box next to Pictures is checked.
Select a Local sync folder if need. Let’s stick with the default.
7. Click Start sync.
You can access the Amazon Photos app from the top menu bar (Mac) or the taskbar (Windows). From there, you will find the sync status.
If your account has gigabytes of files, it could take a long time to sync Amazon Photos to computer.
Once the sync is complete, go to Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows), find the Amazon Drive folder, and you should find all your Amazon Photos photos and videos in the Web subfolder. By the way, Amazon Photos desktop app is used for both Amazon Photos and Amazon Drive, so the folder is called Amazon Drive.
Now, make a change to the Web subfolder, such as deleting a photo in it. And the Amazon Photos app will automatically detect and sync the change. Go to https://www.amazon.com/photos page and see if the deletion is successfully synced. You can wait for some time and reload the page to see the synced change.
Note: If all of your Amazon Photos files can be synced to your computer and the local change can be synced to Amazon Photos, then this method should work for you. If not, it won’t work.
If you believe this method will work for you, then you can check out this part.
In the instructions below, I will use a Mac computer. You can go to the Windows section if you use a Windows PC.
The Amazon duplicate photo cleaner I use is Cisdem Duplicate Finder for Mac. It’s a powerful, easy-to-use app to identify and eliminate duplicate photos, videos, audios, documents, archives and more. It can help you automatically find the true duplicates in Amazon Photos by content.
1. Download Cisdem Duplicate Finder and install it.
2. Click the plus icon +, select the Web subfolder in Amazon Drive > Pictures and click Open. Click the Scan button..
3. When the scan is finished, you can view and preview the duplicate images and videos in Amazon Photos.
4. Duplicate files are already automatically selected for one-click removal.
If not satisfied with auto-selection, mass highlight all under the All tab with Command-A and choose a desired selection rule.
5. Make sure all unwanted duplicate files are selected. Click Delete to remove duplicates in Amazon Photos all at once.
6. Click Yes.
Amazon Photos desktop app will automatically detect and sync the removal to the cloud. Once the sync is done, your Amazon Photos should be duplicate-free!
If you use Windows PC, below is how you can delete duplicate photos in Amazon Photos.
1. Download and install Amazon Photos app for windows. Enable the sync. You can see Part 1 for details.
2. Find the Amazon Drive folder in the File Explorer's sidebar.
3. Install a duplicate photo finder for Windows. Here we will use Duplicate Cleaner, which supports Windows 10, 8, 7 and Vista. Open it.
4. Launch a New search.
5. Choose the Search criteria tab and configure settings if needed.
6. Go to the Scan location tab. Drag the Web subfolder in Amazon Drive folder from the left to the Folders to search area. Click Start scan.
7. Once the process is done, select the unwanted duplicates in your Amazon Photos account.
8. Click File removal to remove Amazon Photos app duplicates.
9. The desktop app will immediately detect the changes and sync. As a result, the duplicates in Amazon Photos web will also be gone.
Above is the automatic way of deleting duplicate items in Amazon Photos. It’s also possible to manually identify and eliminate them. The manual method can be useful if there aren’t many files (and potentially many duplicates) in your account.
1. Visit Amazon Photos web app online. Login to your account.
2. Select Your Photos in the sidebar. Thumbnails of your Amazon Photos items will be displayed on the right.
3. It's recommended to choose the second thumbnail browsing mode.
4. Choose a desired option to sort thumbnails.
5. Browse through your items to locate duplicates.
6. Hover your mouse over the thumbnail of an unwanted duplicate photo or video.
7. Select the tick symbol that appears to select an item. Likewise, you can select multiple items.
8. Choose More > Move to trash.
9. Read the message and click Delete.
You can store both photos and videos in Amazon Photos. If you only want to go through photos to find duplicates and ignore video files, in the sidebar, go to Filters > Media types and select Photos.
Once the duplicate items in Amazon Photos are moved to Trash, Trash will automatically and permanently them after 30 days. During this period, it's extremely easy to restore them to your account. If you want to get rid of them immediately, select all items in Trash and click Permanently Delete.
You don’t need duplicates, triplicates and even more versions of the same photos or videos in your Amazon Photos account. To make photo browsing more efficient and enjoyable, it’s a good idea to remove Amazon Photos duplicates. The duplicate file finder used in this tutorial uses smart algorithms to automatically recognize duplicate items in seconds and group them together for one-click elimination. It can also help you delete all kinds of duplicate files from internal or external storage.
Rosa has worked in Mac software industry for more than eight years. She believes that the purpose of software is to make life better and work more productively. In addition to writing, Rosa is also an avid runner.
Thank you. It worked! I had a lot of duplicates in my account. And it's just not a good idea to go through all my photos to look for duplicates. I tried your method, and the duplicates were gone.